ReiserFS support

All kernel questions! 2.4 or new 2.6 kernel, compiling, modules, panics, etc.

ReiserFS support

Postby Sammy38 » 04 Jul 2006, 00:00

Hello...

To enable ReiserFS support do I have to recompile the kernel? Im using 4.0 on a beige g3 that works just fine but it tells me that its not supported.

I need to do a bit of somewhat complicated partion resizing after freeing up a second OS9 storage partition that I really dont need. The intention is to format the new partition as reiserfs (already done), move root onto it, and shrink it. The current root is 17GB. Too big but when I installed I wasnt sure what to give it. The rest of the space would be added to /home.

There are other options where I can stick with ext3 but being able to move the starting points of partitions would help alot. And I would prefer not to have to start from scratch. ;-)

Thanks.
Sammy38
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Ooooops......

Postby Sammy38 » 04 Jul 2006, 06:16

After further reading it seemed the logical thing to do was compile a module. Easy enough or so I thought.

make SUBDIRS=fs/reiserfs modules
make modules_install

All seemed to go well I thought. Now when booting there are lots of error messages about things missing from the /lib/modules/2.6.x/kernel folder. And sure enough everything inside it is now gone. Argh!!!

But the good news is that I can still get to login, Gnome (I like GUIs, what can I say), and Samba works. So I can transfer things to my PC... after I make space for everything. Now, I can either see about reinstalling the operating system... or I have bite the bullet as they say and do what I have been trying to avoid and erase everything then reinstall. Then I get to update everything again.

Still..... you gotta laugh. ;-)
Sammy38
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 05 Jul 2006, 13:24

actually just get the kernel rpm and force install it via cli (should overwrite everything and make it boot normally) as for reiserfs support just grab the latest stable kernel from kernel.org get the reiserfs utilities source and compile it all and be happy :) (grabbing the latest stable helps in that you have the latest ver. of reiserfs and kernel support as well as not overwriting your current working kernel)
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

kernel

Postby Sammy38 » 05 Jul 2006, 19:44

Reinstalled the kernel rpm yesterday. Figured I would try that first before anything else. Wasnt sure it would work as I never had to do it before.

I downloaded and compiled the ReiserFS utilities a couple days ago, and it all worked great. But the kernel did not have support built in so it could not mount the partition. So it seemed the two options were to rebuild or make a module. After further reading I figured out what I did wrong and found the right way to make it. There were hiccups and it would quit with errors about this and that. Got it to the point where it started to compile then quit after after about 5 seconds. But no error. And no module. So I dont know whats up with it yet ;-)

Since Im running 4.0 on a beige G3 I dont know about updating to a later kernel. From what I understand there are certain things that are not enabled by default and the ramdisk needs them. And I dont know what they are yet. As a test I took both it and vmlinuz from 4.1 to see if the install disk would boot up. Bootx just quits.

If I didnt like figuring out things I would be highly annoyed about now ;-)
Sammy38
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Kernel