2.4.22-f kernel options

All kernel questions! 2.4 or new 2.6 kernel, compiling, modules, panics, etc.

2.4.22-f kernel options

Postby ericpartington » 15 Jul 2004, 14:10

How can i see what options are compiled into my kernel? I started with the laptop install for ydl 3.0.1 and would like to know what kernel options and modules are installed.
from what i have seen the /usr/src directory is empty.... where is the kernel source installed on ydl 3.0.1?
ericpartington
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 15 Jul 2004, 16:50

well in my 3.0 install i have the source for my kernel-did u make sure that its installed? and to view the options that are compiled into your kernel you'll have to do config from the source and use the config file from ur /boot folder as the source. If your just curious about the modules compiled and installed just go to /lib/modules/kernel. ver. and browse through there
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby ericpartington » 15 Jul 2004, 17:03

where is the kernel source installed on the 3.0 install in /usr/src? or somewhere else? where do you call make and make menuconfig? in the /usr/src or in another directory?
ericpartington
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby kamika » 15 Jul 2004, 17:05

source is not installed by default, even if you selected all packages.
this is also true with redhat installations.

you would need to select it in the package tree.

so i guess yours is not installed but should be as rpm on one of the disc.

look for it and install it.

greets kamika
kamika
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ericpartington » 15 Jul 2004, 17:21

to select it in the package tree, is there an option to select the packages individually? i must have missed it as i have tried all the installation types and they all dont install it by default? i vaguely remember a check box to get packages individually, is that what i want.

to install from the CD's is that using the rpm command?
ericpartington
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby kamika » 15 Jul 2004, 17:27

yes,
you can find it on cd 2

YellowDog/RPMS/kernel-source-2.4.22-2f.ppc.rpm

e.g. install with rpm -iv /mnt/cdrom/YellowDog/RPMS/kernel-source-2.4.22-2f.ppc.rpm

greets kamika
kamika
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby StarKnight83 » 15 Jul 2004, 17:28

u could also use yum to install in su to root then "yum install kernel-source" though id only recomend this if your on a broadband connection as the file is a little large something like 25mb
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby ericpartington » 15 Jul 2004, 19:14

I will try that tonight and see how it goes. Once I have the kernel source installed do i have to make a sym link from the 2.4.22-2f directory to /usr/src/linux and do make and make menuconfig to start rebuilding the kernel and to see what modules can be installed?
ericpartington
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby kamika » 15 Jul 2004, 20:37

you do not need to
but it makes things easier if you install software later on wich needs part
of the kernel source.

so it is a good idea to let /usr/src/linux point to the source from which you compiled
the kernel you are running at the moment.

:D :D :D
kamika
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ericpartington » 20 Jul 2004, 02:57

Thanks for the suggestions, they look like they will work once these small hurdles are cleared. I try to install from cd by this ....
Code: Select all
[root@localhost src]# rpm -iv /mnt/cdrom/YellowDog/RPMS/kernel-source-2.4.22-2f.ppc.rpm

warning: /mnt/cdrom/YellowDog/RPMS/kernel-source-2.4.22-2f.ppc.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID aeb6b9c4
error: Failed dependencies:
        gcc >= 2.95.3 is needed by kernel-source-2.4.22-2f

so i try to use YUM to update the packages and i get an error 1044 and it disconnects me.
So here i am stuck in the middle, i would like to install the kernel source for 2.4.22-2f but i need to install gcc first, it isnt listed as far as i can tell on the 3.0.1 cd so where can i get it from and how do i get the kernel source installed?
ericpartington
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Wappendorf » 20 Sep 2004, 21:39

:| I did a full install from the 3 iso of YDL 3.0.1 and source IS installed on /usr/src

to make a full install, choose the option to install all packages when the installer proposes you to select group of packages this is not at the beginning of the installer when you choose between predef (user, desktop, server or custom) installation but later on after partitionning.
Wappendorf

Postby hexstar » 07 Nov 2004, 03:06

ericpartington wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, they look like they will work once these small hurdles are cleared. I try to install from cd by this ....
Code: Select all
[root@localhost src]# rpm -iv /mnt/cdrom/YellowDog/RPMS/kernel-source-2.4.22-2f.ppc.rpm

warning: /mnt/cdrom/YellowDog/RPMS/kernel-source-2.4.22-2f.ppc.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID aeb6b9c4
error: Failed dependencies:
        gcc >= 2.95.3 is needed by kernel-source-2.4.22-2f

so i try to use YUM to update the packages and i get an error 1044 and it disconnects me.
So here i am stuck in the middle, i would like to install the kernel source for 2.4.22-2f but i need to install gcc first, it isnt listed as far as i can tell on the 3.0.1 cd so where can i get it from and how do i get the kernel source installed?
find the gcc rpm on your cd(s) and install it then do the rpm command for the kernel source
hexstar
ydl addict
ydl addict

Return to Kernel