kboot.conf HELP PLEASE

All kernel questions! 2.4 or new 2.6 kernel, compiling, modules, panics, etc.

kboot.conf HELP PLEASE

Postby hellron » 06 Jun 2008, 12:57

im trying to follow this how to

http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-linux ... 56214.html

its all fine till i get to the kboot.conf bit, i cant work out how to edit it. ive logged in as root and cd / and then look in the etc folder and theres no kboot.conf file. if i reboot and ls at the kboot prompt and go to the etc folder i have a kboot.conf file but i cant get to it once ive let linux boot and got to the login screen.

sorry if this is totally simple but i tried to find an answer but i dont really know what to search for.

thanks
hellron
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: kboot.conf HELP PLEASE

Postby billb » 06 Jun 2008, 14:15

You should probably ask the author of that advertisement-laden guide, and not here.

Also, it would help if you mentioned what version of YDL you're running. The guide you're looking at is for YDL 5 and most of us have updated to YDL 6 (which doesn't have an /etc/kboot.conf file -- it's /etc/yaboot.conf instead, and the kerenel is more recent).
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hellron » 06 Jun 2008, 16:49

ok so in 6 you get yaboot, that makes things a little less confusing except that i still get a kboot prompt and if i look at the etc folder at the kboot prompt then i have a kboot.conf file? i just want to mount a blu ray and although in the past ive mounted them no problem this one seems to not work, i assume its the need for udf2.5 nd not knowing anything about linux i just needed some help.
could someone explain what adding this "ydl_ntfs_udf='/dev/sda1:/vmlinux_NTFS_UDF initrd=/dev/sda1:/initrd_NTFS_UDF.img root=/dev/sda2 init=/sbin/init video=ps3fb:mode:3 rhgb' (You can also change default=ydl_ntfs_udf," to kboot.conf does and how i can add something similar to do the same thing to the yaboot.conf. or if thers another way to get udf2.5 support.

thanks
hellron
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 06 Jun 2008, 17:13

hellron wrote:i assume its the need for udf2.5 nd not knowing anything about linux i just needed some help.

That question is actually up for debate right now. There are some theories that the hypervisor prevents access to Blu-ray with the latest PS3 GameOS updates.

I don't have time this morning, but I'll try to look at the command arguments in your example later today or tomorrow - just in case somebody doesn't answer before that. :)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 06 Jun 2008, 17:19

hellron wrote:its all fine till i get to the kboot.conf bit, i cant work out how to edit it. ive logged in as root and cd / and then look in the etc folder and theres no kboot.conf file. if i reboot and ls at the kboot prompt and go to the etc folder i have a kboot.conf file but i cant get to it once ive let linux boot and got to the login screen.

Just FYI:

When the PS3 boots from its firmware, it uses /etc/kboot.conf on a "phantom" drive. That's what you see when you ls from the kboot prompt.

When you see the screen "flash" - for lack of a better term - just after the kboot prompt, the PS3 is now using the physical hard disc. At this point, YDL 6.0 does not use /etc/kboot.conf anymore - it uses /etc/yaboot.conf instead.

Hope that clarifies the boot procedure a bit. :)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hellron » 06 Jun 2008, 17:21

thanks,

sony stopping the blu ray access would be somewhat less of a surprise, and a little(to put it mildly) annoying!! was kinda surprised how easy it was to get linux on and mount a blu ray when i first did it, this kind of confusion and frustration was more what i expected, i guess i just had to wait :)

thanks again
hellron
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby XIONGYAN1 » 20 Aug 2008, 19:57

Hello to everyone.I'm new to this forum .I heard goods things about it..
XIONGYAN1
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Kernel