WIFI problem.

All kernel questions! 2.4 or new 2.6 kernel, compiling, modules, panics, etc.

WIFI problem.

Postby rbaut003 » 05 Aug 2008, 01:16

Okay so i just finished installing my yellow dog linux into my ps3 this morning (v5.0.2) I downloaded the update kernel from the (no internet connection HOWTO in terrasoftsolutions), i tried to transfer it over to my ps3 using both usb and cdrom. I tried using the cd/path/to/CDromorUSBkey. and i tried using the /media/cdrom path in the gnome terminal, both didnt work. so what i did was, i dragged the kernel setup file from my USB onto the command line of the Gnome terminal. and was able to install it. then i looked up how configure the wireless, i deleted the "ps3 etho dev"? and after i configured the wireless. THIS IS WHERE I GET CONFUSED. I put my setting for wireless, but the ps3 wireless card doesnt show up, instead an option that says "other wireless card" is available. then a ethernet adapter option is next, and i dont know what to put as the selection, i use at&t uverse, 2wire wireless router. i tried it with everything for auto and tried it by manually punching in my IP, subnet mask, and gateway.

It has been "active" for both static and auto settings. but i still cant connect to the internet wirelessly. i would appreciate everything, i got this far without having to ask questions, i can follow directions very easily. please help, i fancy linux and would like to continue using it.
rbaut003
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: WIFI problem.

Postby billb » 05 Aug 2008, 14:07

rbaut003 wrote:Okay so i just finished installing my yellow dog linux into my ps3 this morning (v5.0.2) I downloaded the update kernel from the (no internet connection HOWTO in terrasoftsolutions), i tried to transfer it over to my ps3 using both usb and cdrom. I tried using the cd/path/to/CDromorUSBkey. and i tried using the /media/cdrom path in the gnome terminal, both didnt work. so what i did was, i dragged the kernel setup file from my USB onto the command line of the Gnome terminal. and was able to install it. then i looked up how configure the wireless, i deleted the "ps3 etho dev"? and after i configured the wireless. THIS IS WHERE I GET CONFUSED. I put my setting for wireless, but the ps3 wireless card doesnt show up, instead an option that says "other wireless card" is available. then a ethernet adapter option is next, and i dont know what to put as the selection, i use at&t uverse, 2wire wireless router. i tried it with everything for auto and tried it by manually punching in my IP, subnet mask, and gateway.

It has been "active" for both static and auto settings. but i still cant connect to the internet wirelessly. i would appreciate everything, i got this far without having to ask questions, i can follow directions very easily. please help, i fancy linux and would like to continue using it.

Any particular reason you didn't install YDL 6 instead? It's available for download:
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/resou ... rors.shtml
For 6.0 on PS3, download yellowdog-6.0-DVD_20080207.iso

For some wireless tips (should apply to both YDL 5 and 6):
viewtopic.php?t=3399

And please see the README post in the PS3 subforum:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2274

I think I'm going to begin moving some things around on the boards to make things easier to find ... suggestions are welcome.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WIFI problem.

Postby ppietro » 15 Aug 2008, 03:33

rbaut003 wrote:Okay so i just finished installing my yellow dog linux into my ps3 this morning (v5.0.2) I downloaded the update kernel from the (no internet connection HOWTO in terrasoftsolutions), i tried to transfer it over to my ps3 using both usb and cdrom. I tried using the cd/path/to/CDromorUSBkey. and i tried using the /media/cdrom path in the gnome terminal, both didnt work. so what i did was, i dragged the kernel setup file from my USB onto the command line of the Gnome terminal. and was able to install it. then i looked up how configure the wireless, i deleted the "ps3 etho dev"? and after i configured the wireless. THIS IS WHERE I GET CONFUSED. I put my setting for wireless, but the ps3 wireless card doesnt show up, instead an option that says "other wireless card" is available. then a ethernet adapter option is next, and i dont know what to put as the selection, i use at&t uverse, 2wire wireless router. i tried it with everything for auto and tried it by manually punching in my IP, subnet mask, and gateway.

Sadly - although you got the kernel installed, your boot is still using the old kernel, I think. That's why the option doesn't show up. Originally, there were two parts to this - installing the kernel, and editing the /etc/kboot.conf to actually use it.

Could you post the contents of your /etc/kboot.conf? I realize it might take a little typing - feel free to only post the entry that controls your boot.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Kernel