frame buffer windowing

All kernel questions! 2.4 or new 2.6 kernel, compiling, modules, panics, etc.

frame buffer windowing

Postby consolebosshog » 12 Dec 2008, 02:15

Does ydl 6.0 kernel come with FBUI probaly not. I am going to go try it. This could be way beyond warp speed. what do you think? here is the link

http://home.comcast.net/~fbui/

Links is fast but think how fast FBUI could be!
consolebosshog
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: frame buffer windowing

Postby ppietro » 12 Dec 2008, 02:38

consolebosshog wrote:Does ydl 6.0 kernel come with FBUI probaly not. I am going to go try it. This could be way beyond warp speed. what do you think? here is the link

http://home.comcast.net/~fbui/

Links is fast but think how fast FBUI could be!

No - as far as I know - the YDL 6.0 kernel does not come with FBUI.

Personally - I like X Windows - I grew up with it and used to get a lot of money software testing it. :) But - hey - if FBUI floats your boat - more power to you! :D

I will warn you - it might be tricky to compile. I'm not sure what platform you have - but if you're using a PS3, there may be issues with the framebuffer display since - to the best of my knowledge - it isn't strictly VESA compliant. You will have to compile this from source - an x86 kernel won't run on the PowerPC processor that YDL uses.

Please keep us posted as to how this works for you. :)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby consolebosshog » 12 Dec 2008, 12:42

i have ps3 that is my only ppc arcitechure. I will need to get passed installing someone elses kernel before I try compileing my own. Thanks for you responce. I have mucho to learn. I installed helios before and tryied someones elses kernel to get wifi working. did not get it to work.
consolebosshog
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 14 Dec 2008, 10:52

That was an interesting read with my coffee this morning ... Looks a bit early in development, with "overlapping windows" being listed as a new feature. :shock: I'm still happily running Gnome, but have noticed a little speed difference between YDL running on my PS3 with the upgraded 7200 RPM drive vs the stock 80 GB model.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Kernel