Updating to 2.6.9 fawked my install :(

All kernel questions! 2.4 or new 2.6 kernel, compiling, modules, panics, etc.

Updating to 2.6.9 fawked my install :(

Postby EvilTed » 23 Dec 2004, 22:47

I've got a serious problem now.
I updated the kernel using Yum to 2.6.9.
I made modifications to yboot.conf and ran ybin -y and it all "appeared" fine.

Now when I boot I get 2xlinux-up entries and a single linux-smp entry and nothing will boot.

Does anyone know how to boot into safe mode so I can edit yboot.conf ?

Thanks

ET
EvilTed
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 24 Dec 2004, 02:37

if none of the on-disk options will boot, stick in your ydl install disk-theres a rescue mode or go grap the minimum gentoo disk and use it as a rescue disk
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby Guest » 05 Jan 2005, 02:57

There appears to be a problem with the 2.6.9 kernel and my dual 2.0 G5.
I tried the Gentoo minimum disk method you suggested and it started to boot and then the screen went blank and never returned.
I left it for a while and the fans started to get loud - something that never happened with the origianal install.

I've since reinstalled YDL 4.0 twice and upgraded the kernel and as it boots, the screen goes blank and never returns.

I think there is a definite problem with htis kernel and older models of G5.

Anyone else seen this behaviour?

ET

Postby anorexorcist » 13 Jan 2005, 08:10

dual 1.8ghz G5 would not shutdown or reboot cleanly after upgrading from kernel 2.6.8 to 2.6.9. Loads of code would run on for a while before getting to shutdown or reboot.
I chose to reinstall, reverting back to the 2.6.8 kernel. Perhaps my upgrade was not done properly. I did this:
yum update
after it completed it's thang. I modified the text in /etc/yaboot.conf to reflect my kernel change and then back at the terminal I typed:
mkofboot
and then I typed:
reboot

I thought that would be okay, maybe not, though....
At any rate, there are still some things to work out with this Yellow Dog 4.0, it appears.

side notes:
hardware probing hangs on startup unless I use interactive mode and answer yes manually to all questions. Onboard sound is no-go. Other than these things and the 2.6.9 problem, I dig it. It seems to run a touch faster than my os 10.3.7 install..........
anorexorcist
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby nyne » 25 Jan 2005, 23:30

if updating to a newer kernel is causing problems why not just edit yaboot.conf and roll back to an older kernel? going through the process of reinstalling/repairing with CD's seems like overkill. *shrugs*
fortune favours the brave
nyne
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Kernel