modpost: vmlinux no symtab?

All kernel questions! 2.4 or new 2.6 kernel, compiling, modules, panics, etc.

Postby fluffyzzz » 24 Dec 2004, 05:11

I found somebody else asking what I'm about to ask. The post was from 3 months ago : http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-newbie/Week-of-Mon-20040913/006005.html .

So anyways, when I try to compile 2.6.8.1 I get an error in the middle of 'make modules' as follows :

Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST
make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 134
make: *** [modules] Error 2

I then went back and looked very carefully at all of the modules I had selected and tried again with the same error. I have also tried compiling 2.6.10 from ppckernel.org also to no avail.

help?

go easy on the terminology, i'm a n00b

fluffyzzz

Postby StarKnight83 » 24 Dec 2004, 22:37

have you made sure that all of the kernel support packages are the required versions?
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby fluffyzzz » 24 Dec 2004, 22:49

I don't think so, I'm just following all the FAQ's and HOWTO's I can find. I'll follow your lead though. :wink:
fluffyzzz

Postby fluffyzzz » 25 Dec 2004, 06:10

After much searching I've decided that I don't raelly know what you talking about. Where are these kernel support packages and what are they for and how can I be sure they are the correct version.

Also, merry xmas!
fluffyzzz

Postby StarKnight83 » 25 Dec 2004, 08:04

in the doc directory in the kernel sources theres a file that talks about what librarys the kernel needs and how to find the current ver.
StarKnight83

Postby fluffyzzz » 26 Dec 2004, 05:00

so I'm doing my best, but I'm not sure if thats good enough at the moment. :cry:
anyways, I found what I assume you're talking about; A file called "changes" which lists versions that I should check for:

o Gnu C 2.95.3 # gcc --version
o Gnu make 3.79.1 # make --version
o binutils 2.12 # ld -v
o util-linux 2.10o # fdformat --version
o module-init-tools 0.9.10 # depmod -V
o e2fsprogs 1.29 # tune2fs
o jfsutils 1.1.3 # fsck.jfs -V
o reiserfsprogs 3.6.3 # reiserfsck -V 2>&1|grep reiserfsprogs
o xfsprogs 2.6.0 # xfs_db -V
o pcmcia-cs 3.1.21 # cardmgr -V
o quota-tools 3.09 # quota -V
o PPP 2.4.0 # pppd --version
o isdn4k-utils 3.1pre1 # isdnctrl 2>&1|grep version
o nfs-utils 1.0.5 # showmount --version
o procps 3.2.0 # ps --version
o oprofile 0.5.3 # oprofiled --version

after the first 4 I got a "program not found" for all the version checks. I figured "module-init-tools" would be the only one that woul dhave to do with modules so I went ahead and downloaded it. I still get the MODPOBE error business.

All things aside, thanks, I'm learning alot from my mistakes.
fluffyzzz

Postby hotblack » 26 Dec 2004, 08:22

Are you stripping vmlinux before running make modules? If so, start again from scratch and don't strip the binary till later in the build process.
hotblack

Postby StarKnight83 » 26 Dec 2004, 19:30

i wouldnt worry bout reiserfs, xfs, nfs, jfsutils, as they are just file system tools (ydl really only uses ext3 which is part of the e3fsprogs package) the ones id make sure of are: make, binutils, util-linux, module-init-tools, and e2fsprogs if you cant find it try adding /sbin/ infront of the command they have
StarKnight83

Postby fluffyzzz » 26 Dec 2004, 22:49

Indeed, not stripping vmlinux allows make modules to continue without error. And also yes, adding /sbin showed me that all of the required were up to date.

My last question on this thread will be: whats up with "strip vmlinux" and why did putting it off effect my ability to compile the modules? :?:
fluffyzzz

Postby StarKnight83 » 27 Dec 2004, 03:24

while i dont know enough about programming to answer the question persay, i believe that the strip vmlinux removes all of the debugging and simillar code from the kernel; as these are most likely referenced when the modules are being built for it you get errors when you try to make the modules
StarKnight83

Return to Kernel