update kernel on OldWorld G3 or keep shiner?

All kernel questions! 2.4 or new 2.6 kernel, compiling, modules, panics, etc.

update kernel on OldWorld G3 or keep shiner?

Postby jils » 14 Feb 2005, 21:41

I have a fresh YDL 4.0 installation on my 'very old world' g3. Seems ok, some things are not functioning properly (ie the graphical server setup tools, samba).

I ran yum and told it to update everything... it downloaded kernel 2.6.9-1 and placed it along with several options in my /boot partition.

Should I ignore this and continue using the shiner
kernel 2.6.8-1.ydl.7? Should I try to copy the vmlinux file and the new img file and direct bootx to use them instead?

Anyone running newer kernels on these old machines... what are the benefits?
jils
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: update kernel on OldWorld G3 or keep shiner?

Postby virgule » 15 Feb 2005, 03:57

jils wrote:I have a fresh YDL 4.0 installation on my 'very old world' g3. Seems ok, some things are not functioning properly (ie the graphical server setup tools, samba).

I ran yum and told it to update everything... it downloaded kernel 2.6.9-1 and placed it along with several options in my /boot partition.

Should I ignore this and continue using the shiner
kernel 2.6.8-1.ydl.7? Should I try to copy the vmlinux file and the new img file and direct bootx to use them instead?

Anyone running newer kernels on these old machines... what are the benefits?

Hi there. I presume you used my guide. 8)
The only reason to use the shiner's kernel is because TSS, as they don't support OldWorlds anymore, did not compile-in the required thingy-thingy. These rescources are in the sources but not compiled in the 'default' 4.0 kernel.. Shiner's kernel have them included thats why its working.. The 2.6.9 kernel will work fine on just about any PPC Macs.

The choice is up to you. You can use either kernel. Just make sure the versions do match between vmlinux and initrd.
To Be or Not To Be?? --This is NOT even a question...
virgule
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby jils » 15 Feb 2005, 07:22

virgule wrote:Hi there. I presume you used my guide. 8)
The only reason to use the shiner's kernel is because TSS, as they don't support OldWorlds anymore, did not compile-in the required thingy-thingy. These rescources are in the sources but not compiled in the 'default' 4.0 kernel.. Shiner's kernel have them included thats why its working.. The 2.6.9 kernel will work fine on just about any PPC Macs.

The choice is up to you. You can use either kernel. Just make sure the versions do match between vmlinux and initrd.

virgule,
Yes, I used your guide and it was very helpful. As for the kernel, I have rebooted and am now using the 2.6.9 kernel very happily. I have ironed out some more of my config problems. BTW, I am only using the vmlinux kernel, not the initrd image... I am not using a RAM Disk at the moment and things seem ok.

Thanks for the great info!
jils
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby virgule » 15 Feb 2005, 21:11

jils wrote:I am only using the vmlinux kernel, not the initrd image... I am not using a RAM Disk at the moment and things seem ok.

yes, indeed it still work without initrd but If you notice a significant loss in performance and responsivness, then setup the initrd as a RAM disk in bootx.
To Be or Not To Be?? --This is NOT even a question...
virgule
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby psychedup » 28 Mar 2005, 07:40

I'm not using initrd either... I don't even have to enter the root device into BootX. I guess because the installer changed the partition type of my root partition to "Apple_bootstrap_[something]" it automatically knows to mount that one as root.

I installed the newer kernel (vmlinux-2.6.8-1.ydl.7) and it booted up fine but the built-in ethernet quit working so I am back to the original kernel (vmlinux-2.6.8-1.ydl.7).

I got my sound working also, by typing "modprobe dmasound_pmac" from the command line, but it would be nice if it would load automatically. I couldn't find modules.conf anywhere.
psychedup
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Kernel