Problem with custom kernel

All kernel questions! 2.4 or new 2.6 kernel, compiling, modules, panics, etc.

Problem with custom kernel

Postby kenashkov » 25 Apr 2011, 19:55

Hello,

I'm trying to compile a custom kernel for my IBM Intellistation 285 running YDL. The reason is that I want to turn on the kernel optimizations for Power4, disable the support for other archs, and most importantly - add drivers for Matrox G400 and emu10k sound. The issue I'm getting after compilation is:
Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

What I'm doing is:
- Copy the config-2.6.29-3.ydl61.3 into the kernel source three
- customize the kernel with "make menuconfig"
- make a RPM with "make rpm"
- then install the RPM
- i don't think initrd image is required ... still I try to create one with "kinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.29.3-custom10.img 2.6.29.3-custom10" (custom10 is the suffix for this build) but the generated image is only 30 bytes or so...
- add it to yaboot.conf

And when I boot I get the mentioned error... I thought that when I copy the config file shipped with YDL and not changing anything related to FS it should boot. Googling up to the moment gave me no hint as to what exactly is the problem.

P.S. just for reference - YDL installs, boots and works fine on 285 with GXT4500P. The only problem I found so far (but not yet investigated) is that E17 crashes... KDE works. But like other people using IBM video card I have the colors inverted...
P.P.S. just tested again - E17 works, as well Gnome and XFCE
kenashkov
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Kernel