Enabling SMP on 9600/200DP

All kernel questions! 2.4 or new 2.6 kernel, compiling, modules, panics, etc.

Enabling SMP on 9600/200DP

Postby vmnrao » 28 Aug 2004, 20:51

I recently purchased YDL 3.0.1 and installed it on my Powermac 9600/200DP. I am fairly new to linux, and I need to know step-by-step hot to go about enabling SMP in Linux. Can someone please help me out and explain this to me? I'm under the impression I have to use a different kernel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
vmnrao
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby kamika » 28 Aug 2004, 21:20

first -> look out for smp kernes. if there are any around use them.
they usually have a -smp at the end to show that they have multiprocessor abilty compiled in.

if there is none around compile a kernel youself. If you have never done is try to get
a configuration file that fits to your machine. Somewhere in the web, here in the board or in the channel. To enable SMP you just have to enable it before compiling.

Thats basically it.
kamika
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Guest » 28 Aug 2004, 22:44

Basic Question: once I find an SMP kernel, how do I use it?

Postby vmnrao » 29 Aug 2004, 05:51

I am thoroughly confused. I have searched these forums and yellow dog's site for answers, but I can't find any. Here are my questions:

1. Where do most people go to find precompiled kernels for yellow dog?

2. The only kernels I've been able to find for yellowdog are .rpm files on the yellowdog site. I understand how to install these in linux, but I have to use BootX with my Old World machine, and I read that I also need to have the kernel on my macos volume for use with BootX. I tried using the RPMs with BootX, but it doesn't recognize them. How do I use the new kernels with BootX?

Can someone give me step by step instructions for getting an SMP kernel for my 9600/200DP and installing it? Please help!
vmnrao
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby jdos2 » 06 Jan 2005, 02:25

The easiest way is to recompile the kernel with SMP support.

Did you fix what you were working on? Do you need step-by-step instructions?
JD
jdos2
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to Kernel