Kernel panic help please

All kernel questions! 2.4 or new 2.6 kernel, compiling, modules, panics, etc.

Kernel panic help please

Postby cheetah » 25 Apr 2005, 01:55

I recently purchased a LaCie 150Gb external firewire drive with YDL 4.0.1 pre-installed. For several weeks things have run relatively well, with just a few minor problems. One that may relate to the latest, and worst, problem regards powering off the firewire drive. I've learned that if I shut the external drive off, work in Mac OS X, shut down the computer, then restart the external drive and computer (regardless of the order in which I power on the devices) the external drive will not be recognized unless I go through the following routine:

1. power off both the external drive and the computer, disconnect power to both devices and disconnect the external drive from the computer.

2. wait 15 minutes

3. power on the computer, power on the external drive and wait for it to spin up

4. attach the drive to the computer, wait for it to be recognized and restart the system, this time holding down the option key to boot to Linux

It is then recognized by the system and I can reboot in either Linux or Mac OS X as I choose. Yes, it's a PITA, but it worked. That is until today.

I can get as far as having the external drive recognized by the system and choosing to boot Linux from the external drive. However, it only gets as far as loading the kernel (unsuccessfully). It generates 15 or so lines of messages, many of which are errors, then simply hangs and eventually reboots of its own accord into Mac OS X.

Among the (error) messages generated are:

macserial: can't request IO resource
sda: asking for cache data faild (this appears twice)
sda: assuming drive cache: write through (this appears twice)
EXT3-fs: error loading journal.
pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
umount /initrd/proc failed: 2
kernal panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernal

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.
cheetah
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 25 Apr 2005, 15:33

Please dont cross-post
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83