r128 module does not exist

Any problems with the Xserver, Configs or Sound.

r128 module does not exist

Postby apetiger » 05 Apr 2012, 22:57

I just installed ydl with the latest iso on my g4 powermac (sawtooth) which has a rage 128 pro video card in it. Everything works - I am currently writing this in firefox frommy g4. But X is using "fbdev" and its very slow. I tried using the ati driver, and I get the message "r128 module does not exist" and X does not start. I have googled but I cant find out how to get this on yellow dog. I have downloaded a source tarball and tried to compile it, but it says:

No package 'xorg-server' found
No package 'xproto' found
No package 'fontsproto' found

when i do ./configure.

any ideas? :)

EDIT:

now I did modprobe r128 (actually I had to go to /sbin and do ./modprobe). And now I get "module requirements mismatch"...
apetiger
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: r128 module does not exist

Postby billb » 06 Apr 2012, 01:00

apetiger wrote:No package 'xorg-server' found

I've primarily been a PS3 YDL user although I do run on a PowerMac as well. I may not be much help. :wink:

Do you have xorg-x11-server-sdk installed? rpm -q xorg-x11-server-sdk to check.

If not, run (as root):

Code: Select all
yum install xorg-x11-server-sdk

now I did modprobe r128 (actually I had to go to /sbin and do ./modprobe). And now I get "module requirements mismatch"...

When you use su to become root, make sure you do:

Code: Select all
su --login

So you pick up the command paths / environment variables for root as well (otherwise you'd have to cd to sbin as you mentioned).

And feel free to append posts to the same topic -- we have little enough traffic here these days that it's not a problem. We might not pick up on post edits as quickly.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to X and Multimedia