problems with X(display+error)

Any problems with the Xserver, Configs or Sound.

problems with X(display+error)

Postby gorlist » 31 Aug 2005, 18:35

hi, i just installed yellow dog linux on my mac and i'm facing several problems with it.i have a sony sdm series lcd monitor and from the time the installation process changed from text to graphical mode(anaconda), i got an error message from the screen which was "out of range > xga". The display was really messed up and i was barely able to read anything but i managed to get through the installation process.i thought the problem would be eliminated if i booted normally for the first time with the kde desktop environment.but the problem kept existing.so i hardly managed to access the kde display settings but i couldnt get it to work.then i switched to gnome with the session button at the bottom and tried from there too.when i selected 1024x768 resolution, the gui vanished and it returned to text mode and reported an error with the x server. i restarted and then same error.typed startx but same error.now i cannot get to the gui. then i brought a 2nd monitor(crt this time) to test.everything was fine now but the problem with the x server remains and i cannot get to the gui.i tried to replace the xf86config.backup to the xorg.conf and xf86config files but again the same error...can anyone help me?
1.how to make my sony lcd monitor display everything right
2.how to fix the error to the x server so that I can access the GUI.
gorlist
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 31 Aug 2005, 19:15

plug either display back in and under the gui (as root) type "Xautoconfig" this should generate a working X config file to go back to the gui and modify settings from there
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby gorlist » 31 Aug 2005, 21:17

Thanks for the solution, even though I copied the XF86Config and xorg.conf files from another user and it worked.
At least with the CRT monitor.

But now I have 2 new problems.
I should point out that I am on a Mac Mini 1.42 GHz.

1. Sound is not working.
During the installation process there was a test sound button, clicked it but no sound came out.
What can I do to fix this problem?
I have heard that ydl has some issues with sound...

2. I cannot connect to the Internet.
I use kppp from KDE and I select the /dev/modem device as my modem(thinking that /dev/modem would point to Apple's v92 Internal modem), but what I get when clicking the connect button is an error message that it cannot find a modem in /dev/modem.
What am I doing wrong?
How do I fix this?
gorlist
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 01 Sep 2005, 13:59

sorry, as of right now (under 4.0.1) neither sound nor the modem work on the mini - i might add that both are currently under work to get there though (not sure if it works under 4.0.91 or not (thats the latest beta-only ydl.net enhanced)

The prob w/ the sound is that the chipset is not currently supported on ppc so the TSS engineers need to reverse/hack the instructions to enable and use the audio. And the modem is a softmodem - which means it doesnt do any thing except act as a trans/rec. the software controlling it needs to do all the interpreting, encoding and decoding
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Return to X and Multimedia