Monitor display not working in console, works in X

Any problems with the Xserver, Configs or Sound.

Monitor display not working in console, works in X

Postby beakerboy » 07 Feb 2007, 13:57

I have a revB i-mac on which I installed Yellow Dog 4.0. The install went fine. I decided to run the i-mac as a linux appliance so I did not need the monitor. I already have a spare monitor sitting around for other servers so I soldered together a 15pin macintosh video to VGA converter cable to use. After plugging in the monitor, it displayed fine during the BIOS start-up, and through the bootloader. Once the kernel loaded (tux appeared in the top left corner) the monitor displayed 4 columns, with succesive rows in successive columns.

I played around with the XF86Config and was able to get X windows displaying perfectly with the following stanza:

Code: Select all
Section "Monitor"

#       DisplaySize  270        200
#       HorizSync    60.0 - 60.0
#       VertRefresh  75.0 - 117.0
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        ModelName    "Acer"
        HorizSync    28.0 - 50.0
        VertRefresh  56.0 - 76.0
        Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

now the only thing that does not display correctly is the console. Does anyone know where the file is, or what must be done to tell the kernel (or whatever it is) how to interact with the monitor in the way that X uses the XF86Config file?

Thanks,
Kevin Nowaczyk
beakerboy
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

ofonly

Postby beakerboy » 19 Feb 2007, 17:03

To answer my own question. I went to install debian over yellowdog, and it suggested typing install video=ofonly. That seems to be the fix. So I can either add video=ofonly to yaboot.conf file or just install debian, which is probably a better distro anyways.

Kevin
beakerboy
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to X and Multimedia