E17 and Gnome Desktops running at the same time!

Any problems with the Xserver, Configs or Sound.

E17 and Gnome Desktops running at the same time!

Postby Yertman » 18 Aug 2007, 03:24

Hi All,

I have installed YDL 5.0.6 on a 400 Mhz Indigo iMac with a 10GB HD and 128MB of RAM. The install process seemed to go fine. I gave the whole 10GB HD to YDL and used the suggested partitioning scheme, which was 128MB Swap, 100MB boot/ and the rest for /. After partitioning the installer mentioned the small amount of RAM installed and said it needed to enable swap right away, which it seemed to do with no problem. After the install completed and the system rebooted it came up with a very basic config menu that let me set network options, etc. Then when I rebooted again I just got a command line login. I logged in as root and tried startx. This gave me an error stating there was no display configured. I ran system-config-display which seemed to fix the xserver. I tried to start gdm and got an error so I reinstalled gdm. Now when I start gdm I can login but it seems the Gnome desktop and E17 are both running.

How can I fix this. I want the system to come right up the the gdm greeter and when I log in I want just E17.

Thanks for your help.
Yertman
Yertman
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: E17 and Gnome Desktops running at the same time!

Postby billb » 18 Aug 2007, 23:13

Yertman wrote:have installed YDL 5.0.6 on a 400 Mhz Indigo iMac with a 10GB HD and 128MB of RAM.

What version was that again? 5.0.?

I have installed 5.0.2 on a G3-400 / 256 MB / 10 GB / DVD iMac with no problems, but have not used any previous versions. It would go straight into graphic mode.

Now when I start gdm I can login but it seems the Gnome desktop and E17 are both running.

Is this what you mean? GNOME on first virtual desktop is the default setup. I'm not sure how you would keep Nautilus off at startup.

"Nautilus
Does this mean that you will never have a desktop with E17? Absolutely not. We have integrated Nautilus, the desktop and file manager for Gnome, into the first virtual desktop of your default E17 configuration. Nautilus is fast, stable, and quite flexible for both local and network file management.

Distinguishable from the other 5 virtual desktops, the first Virtual Desktop contains icons and when you right-click you will find the pop-up menu to be Nautilus specific, such as setting the background image which defaults to the same as that of E17. "
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Yertman » 19 Aug 2007, 03:03

Ah. Well you answered that question. I did not realize Gnome is supposed to be running, but now that you point it out it makes sense. The reason it seemed wrong to me is because I changed the settings on the default E17 shelf from the default which makes it stay on top of all windows to a setting that lets windows appear over the top if it. This allowed the "integrated" Gnome desktop to get on top of the E17 desktop making the shelf disappear.

Now that that problem is cleared up I just need to know how to get the system to go straight to the gdm greeter without having to first log in as root at the command line and start gdm manually.

Thank you very much for your help.
Yertman
Yertman
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 19 Aug 2007, 04:34

Yertman wrote:Now that that problem is cleared up I just need to know how to get the system to go straight to the gdm greeter without having to first log in as root at the command line and start gdm manually.

This may help -- although the instructions are for the PS3, it deals with booting into graphic mode instead of text mode. I really don't know for sure, though.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Yertman » 19 Aug 2007, 05:42

Yeah!

I finally have it. The default run level was set to 3 which is of course the full system minus the graphical environment. I changed the default run level to 5 and the system comes right up the the graphical login as expected.

For others with this problem:

This is the file to edit:
/etc/inittab

Here is the line to change:
id:3:initdefault:

Just change the 3 to a 5.

Here is a link that explains a bit more:
http://www.linuxtopia.org/HowToGuides/runlevel.html

Thanks for the help!
Yertman
Yertman
ydl newbie