Upon upgrade to ydl4.0 sound no longer works :-(

Any problems with the Xserver, Configs or Sound.

Postby netsec » 09 Dec 2004, 17:06

In attempting to keep with ALSA, I tried modprobe snd-powermac and got nothing. I tried modprobe dmasound_pmac and got success (not surprising). Went to /proc/asound/ , went into the "cards" file and saw "no cards". I assume the answer lies somewhere in the /asound/ folder, I am just not sure where to go from there.

I went into preferences, but did not see a place to change from ALSA to OSS.
netsec

Postby Ben Ben » 10 Dec 2004, 18:33

same for me. snd-powermac didn't work, and this "OSS" i haven't found yet...

Isn't there any support for the Enhanced people?
Ben Ben
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Guest » 10 Dec 2004, 22:20

Ben Ben wrote:same for me. snd-powermac didn't work, and this "OSS" i haven't found yet...

Isn't there any support for the Enhanced people?

http://cvs.terraplex.com/~owen/kernel-2.6.9/

Get that kernel, change all instances of dmasound_pmac in /etc/modprobe.conf to snd_powermac, and you'll be good to go.

The shipped kernel had very badly borked sound drivers that won't always work.

Postby Ben Ben » 11 Dec 2004, 14:44

Thanks a lot but it's not necessary any more, just getting a newer kernel the easier way with yum install kernel*, cuz there is an update since some days from ydl.
With that one it works.
Ben Ben
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby lenqiu » 12 Dec 2004, 03:33

i've downloaded the kernel and intalled it with rpm -ivh.

now i've use everything with OSS not ALSA.

the system responds and it detects the driver and the 3 guitar tunes are present, the system beep is on.

i' haven;t updated the conf file.... can u tell me the exact syntaxis of the file? (please it's just a copy and paste affair)

i can't play mp3s neither audio cds...
Viva Mexico!
lenqiu
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Guest » 13 Dec 2004, 02:46

Ben Ben wrote:Thanks a lot but it's not necessary any more, just getting a newer kernel the easier way with yum install kernel*, cuz there is an update since some days from ydl.
With that one it works.

Obviously Owen checked it in to the yum repository then

Must get meself to a connection without a proxy server so I can run a full yum update - doesn't work with authenticating proxies like I've got here....

Same Sound Problem - My case

Postby NeoAmsterdam » 19 Dec 2004, 13:24

I'm having the same problem. I've got a PowerBook3,5 (15" Titanium) 867MHz, 768MB, 40gB w/ ComboDrive. YDL 3.0.1 worked fine, but I was itching to try YDL 4 when it came out for free. The soundcard detection went well during the post-installation configuration. I then opened up the Control Center and customized everything to my heart's content until I hit the audio section.

So far the only way I've gotten sound to work is to use the OSS driver at 8 bits. Even so, when I test the sound I get white noise for 90% of the test (Beginning and coda of the sound are intelligible, though). Also, I've set KMix to output everything at 50% with the master at 75%. This setting is not respected when I log in (regardless of whether or not I'm root). Xmms crashes quite nicely, and audio CDs aren't recognized (I think it's a case of a missing symbolic link). Other than that, I get the dmasound_pmac dialog, and, no I haven't been able to use snd-powermac instead.

What I have been able to hear, however, is live audio through the built-in microphone, the "beep"s when I press the brightness/volume up/down keys, and ASCII 7 when in console. Obviously something works.

I'm not savvy enough to update the kernel just yet, let alone use yum. Any workarounds?
NeoAmsterdam
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby MYOB » 20 Dec 2004, 18:03

snd_powermac, not snd-powermac

yum isn't that hard to use really. yum update, wait a VERY long time, done. Then editing /boot/etc/yaboot.conf isn't that hard, pretty intuitive - point it at the new kernel; then run /sbin/ybin and reboot.
MYOB
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Same Sound Problem - My case

Postby hexstar » 21 Dec 2004, 01:49

NeoAmsterdam wrote:I'm having the same problem. I've got a PowerBook3,5 (15" Titanium) 867MHz, 768MB, 40gB w/ ComboDrive. YDL 3.0.1 worked fine, but I was itching to try YDL 4 when it came out for free. The soundcard detection went well during the post-installation configuration. I then opened up the Control Center and customized everything to my heart's content until I hit the audio section.

So far the only way I've gotten sound to work is to use the OSS driver at 8 bits. Even so, when I test the sound I get white noise for 90% of the test (Beginning and coda of the sound are intelligible, though). Also, I've set KMix to output everything at 50% with the master at 75%. This setting is not respected when I log in (regardless of whether or not I'm root). Xmms crashes quite nicely, and audio CDs aren't recognized (I think it's a case of a missing symbolic link). Other than that, I get the dmasound_pmac dialog, and, no I haven't been able to use snd-powermac instead.

What I have been able to hear, however, is live audio through the built-in microphone, the "beep"s when I press the brightness/volume up/down keys, and ASCII 7 when in console. Obviously something works.

I'm not savvy enough to update the kernel just yet, let alone use yum. Any workarounds?
same here, could someone please post a step by step howto to upgrade the kernel with yum and then put it into effect? as I too am a little afraid to do this myself in fear that I may end up facing a reinstallation :(, it would be much appreciated, thanks
hexstar
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby NeoAmsterdam » 21 Dec 2004, 05:16

MYOB wrote:snd_powermac, not snd-powermac
My bad! I'll try that as soon as I reboot into YDL (In Classic right now).

yum isn't that hard to use really. yum update, wait a VERY long time, done.
Just yum update? That's it? (I feel stupid now...)

Then editing /boot/etc/yaboot.conf isn't that hard, pretty intuitive - point it at the new kernel; then run /sbin/ybin and reboot.
I did have to fix yaboot.conf once before (It didn't recognize my OS X and Classic partitions properly), and it is intuitive. When I screw up, I'll ask here for help!

Thanks!
NeoAmsterdam
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby hexstar » 21 Dec 2004, 06:10

NeoAmsterdam wrote:
yum isn't that hard to use really. yum update, wait a VERY long time, done.
Just yum update? That's it? (I feel stupid now...)
read below ;)
Ben Ben wrote:Thanks a lot but it's not necessary any more, just getting a newer kernel the easier way with yum install kernel*, cuz there is an update since some days from ydl.
With that one it works.
hexstar
ydl addict
ydl addict

Sound still not working after yum + snd_powermac

Postby NeoAmsterdam » 21 Dec 2004, 10:07

Even though it took about an hour, yum update was painless, yaboot.conf and ybin went well, and I've edited snd_powermac into modprobe.conf. Thanks to all for the help with that.

I've also "discovered" alsamixer. A little tweaking there and with KMix gave me back my console bell. I used GStreamer Preferences (It's labeled "Multimedia Systems Selector" in KDE) to test ALSA: Output gave me a continuous tone, and input didn't work at all (I couldn't care about input anyway).

But I still get the white noise I mentioned earlier. I opened up Control Center > Sound & Multimedia > Sound System and hit "Test Sound" from the General tab - Starts nicely, ends nicely too, but it's 95% noise. Still, considering that the audio device is set to "Autodetect" and the quality is "Default", it's an improvement - I used to have to set them to OSS with 8-bits.

Finally, Soundcard Detection no longer works - I used to get the right/left/stereo guitar. I'm getting pure, unadulterated silence now. Also, it reports that dmasound_pmac is the module, not snd_powermac. Did I miss something? Was I supposed to modprobe something I'm not aware of?
NeoAmsterdam
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby southpawami » 21 Dec 2004, 12:49

I think you all are right... I've got everything to work fine in my atleast 5 different installs of YDL 4.0 now... except sound. I have a G3 iBook 900. I have played with the different options in customizing sound which seems dissappointing in that there does not seem to be a way to specify a specific brand, appearing like it's taking away some bit of ability within the GUI.

The absolute, most annoying thing about this sound issue, is that it works fine during install, and never works when actually running it. I've fiddled with services a little, to no avail.

I'll try that sound trick mentioned, and I hope it works, as there doesn't seem to be another fix that I haven't tried yet. Thank you for sharing it. Nobody's given a sure winner in the shell from what I've read yet, although I haven't read everything in the yellow dog forum yet.

However, let me give some of you G3 iBook 8/900MHz people some bit of advice. The installer does NOT detect the LCD properly. It detects mobility graphics card, and yet does not logically deduce that it might have an LCD. So, when you are in the installer, DO NOT set the graphics to millions of colors with 1024x768... just trust me on this... unless you really like a forced command line, that is. Change the settings to thousands of colors, and setting the 1024x768 will work fine. Why not set it to LCD?? Because for some oddball reason, the installer tries to be so friendly, it doesn't let you get specific enough when you really need to be. I've run the 'installer' 'installer-safe' and 'installer text', and every one of them has that... 'glitch'. So, all you have to do, is after you install, go to the command control(i think thats the name of it in KDE) or the Display settings in one of the system menus, and change the display type to LCD, then after that, change colors to millions of colors. (Oh, and blender and wings3d do not come with it, so just be ready to download after install for those into those applications.)

All in all though... if YDL 4.0 only had sound on my laptop... it'd be a great all around os. It seems to run wireless networking great, and dsl through average hardware fine... although through antique hardware for dsl don't trust it with a 10ft stick... and sets up nicely and easily, with the only obstacle that you can't be specific enough during install on any part when you need to be.
southpawami

Postby southpawami » 21 Dec 2004, 12:59

speaking of feeling stupid... although i don't remember having sound... i never did update the kernal in any of the installs i made after the first 2...
southpawami

Postby codonnell » 08 Jan 2005, 18:55

I did all of this on my PB G3 (Pismo), and now I get silence. No more error dialog when I log in, nor a system beep when the login screen first comes up. I've tried variations on it too. Has anyone with a PB G3 gotten sound to work?

MYOB wrote:snd_powermac, not snd-powermac

yum isn't that hard to use really. yum update, wait a VERY long time, done. Then editing /boot/etc/yaboot.conf isn't that hard, pretty intuitive - point it at the new kernel; then run /sbin/ybin and reboot.
codonnell
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

PreviousNext

Return to X and Multimedia