Upon upgrade to ydl4.0 sound no longer works :-(

Any problems with the Xserver, Configs or Sound.

Postby lenqiu » 08 Jan 2005, 21:45

stop trying, it's immposible to activate the entire sound system... just let's wait for an update of YDL 4. in the meantime use macos X.

i really want to learn linux, but i really need to ear sound from my system in order to be happy and learn easier.

Please YDL programmers... help with the sound!
Viva Mexico!
lenqiu
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ttuee2006 » 10 Jan 2005, 01:44

I also have problems with sound. I'm a noob at linux, so it might just be something I'm doing wrong. I get sound and the sound detection plays the test sounds. I can play CDs and mp3 files without a problem, but when I get a system beep or some other OS noise, it is almost total static and extremely loud. I have tried adjusting the KMix settings, but I only seem to get full distorted volume, or nothing at all. No in between. I never had this problem in YDL 3.0.1, but I did occasionally get errors when loading the KDE desktop, but it always worked nontheless. If it helps, I have a Powermac G3 Desktop Beige with a 266 MHz G3.
ttuee2006
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

ibook Sound & kernel updates

Postby simonsim » 10 Jan 2005, 22:15

Hi all new to the group....

Well I as many of you have had the same "no sound" problem. I read most of the posts related to this and noticed quite a few people asked for something that wasn't posted. While my sound is still not working I felt I could give step by step how to update your kernel - which i feel for whatever reason gets me closer to an ibook with sound.

I assume that everyone reading this either has or will have a flawless YD4.0 install on their iBook. My only problem (as many others) came after my first boot. In short no sound is the problem even though the installer played sounds. A number of cool people posted suggestions or what worked for them; I found these posts hard to follow (helpful but hard) so I will give a quickie post on what I have seen and done.

(Assumes you are running KDE the default install)
1. After you have a clean install (or are ready to update from a former version) open your Terminal Window - you want to be in Command Line.

2. Kill all other applications (not sure if you need to I just did)

3. In the command prompt type: yum update (this is an HTTP connection so no prox-servers can be between your internet connection and/or deal with usage consents if needed prior to yum update)

4. Watch as everything goes by (Mine stalled once I just closed term window, opened another and typed yum update again...corrected the semi-download and went on its way)

5. You will be asked if it can install a number of packages (let it, far easier to explain if we just let it do it's thing)

6. Might take a while but YUM will get everything ready for you and then say complete.

7. While it is complete in many respects you still need to direct your system to use the new kernel. (This is simple just be sure to type everything as you need).

8. Launch Konqueror - Easiest is to double click the HOME icon on your desktop. Direct the browser to file:/ect/yaboot.conf

9. This will open Kwrite and the Yaboot.conf change ONLY the 2.6.X-ydl.x to 2.6.9-ydl.8 Again replace the Image and Intird lines with 2.6.9-ydl.8 make no other changes. (Again you are directing the boot process to use the new kernel make only the number changes...again only change the numbers everything else is needed)

10. return to your Command Line window and type mkofboot wait till it is done.

11. type REBOOT

12. Smile you have just updated your kernel, maybe mozilla and a few other small things.

While this worked great it did not correct my sound problem inside KDE. However, I did get a system beep at my login prompt. I followed a posters suggestion to change my file:/ect/modprobe.conf . While this went grand I still have no sound; if I do an auto config of the sound i noticed it is still using the wrong sound driver (even though I made changes to modprob.conf.) Any help at this point would rock as I am stumped.

I have read on a couple google sites that the sound issue is a KDE only issue (within YD) so I will attempt another install using gnome as the GUI on another machine. Good or bad I will later tonight post my findings.
simonsim
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby hexstar » 16 Jan 2005, 06:23

sent a e-mail to kai, the head of terrasoft solutions about this to see what his take on this and the status of the situation is, here's his reply:

John,

> Sorry for bothering you I'm sure you're very busy. But I and tons of
> other YDL users are having trouble with the sound, sound works in the
> installer but fails to work once kde is started, despite trying to
> install all updates, updating the kernel and trying different sound
> drivers sound still fails. There is a big thread with many replies
> from people having this problem which can be found here:
> http://yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=243 . Can you please make a
> point of releasing a yum patch for this problem or fixing it in the
> next release of YDL? I and the rest of the YDL users having this
> problem would greatly appreciate it. Hope to hear back from you.

Yes, it is a pain, but not, it is not easily resolved. We are working to
improve the drives as many of them broke with the latest 2.6 kernel. This
takes a lot of time ... and we appreciate your patience.

In the mean time, Have you launched the Sound Mixer and played with the volume
levels?

kai
hexstar
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby StarKnight83 » 16 Jan 2005, 15:12

from what ive seen the biggest problem is using kde (while this is one of the most user friendly desktop eviroments, has some problems :cry: ) if sound is a big necessity try gnome (i believe that it works here-can someone confirm or deny this, as i only have the support libs for gnome and kde install-i run windowmaker (from source) on my system)
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Re: ibook Sound & kernel updates

Postby craks » 16 Jan 2005, 16:58

simonsim wrote:Hi all new to the group....

Well I as many of you have had the same "no sound" problem. I read most of the posts related to this and noticed quite a few people asked for something that wasn't posted. While my sound is still not working I felt I could give step by step how to update your kernel - which i feel for whatever reason gets me closer to an ibook with sound.

I assume that everyone reading this either has or will have a flawless YD4.0 install on their iBook. My only problem (as many others) came after my first boot. In short no sound is the problem even though the installer played sounds. A number of cool people posted suggestions or what worked for them; I found these posts hard to follow (helpful but hard) so I will give a quickie post on what I have seen and done.

(Assumes you are running KDE the default install)
1. After you have a clean install (or are ready to update from a former version) open your Terminal Window - you want to be in Command Line.

2. Kill all other applications (not sure if you need to I just did)

3. In the command prompt type: yum update (this is an HTTP connection so no prox-servers can be between your internet connection and/or deal with usage consents if needed prior to yum update)

4. Watch as everything goes by (Mine stalled once I just closed term window, opened another and typed yum update again...corrected the semi-download and went on its way)

5. You will be asked if it can install a number of packages (let it, far easier to explain if we just let it do it's thing)

6. Might take a while but YUM will get everything ready for you and then say complete.

7. While it is complete in many respects you still need to direct your system to use the new kernel. (This is simple just be sure to type everything as you need).

8. Launch Konqueror - Easiest is to double click the HOME icon on your desktop. Direct the browser to file:/ect/yaboot.conf

9. This will open Kwrite and the Yaboot.conf change ONLY the 2.6.X-ydl.x to 2.6.9-ydl.8 Again replace the Image and Intird lines with 2.6.9-ydl.8 make no other changes. (Again you are directing the boot process to use the new kernel make only the number changes...again only change the numbers everything else is needed)

10. return to your Command Line window and type mkofboot wait till it is done.

11. type REBOOT

12. Smile you have just updated your kernel, maybe mozilla and a few other small things.

While this worked great it did not correct my sound problem inside KDE. However, I did get a system beep at my login prompt. I followed a posters suggestion to change my file:/ect/modprobe.conf . While this went grand I still have no sound; if I do an auto config of the sound i noticed it is still using the wrong sound driver (even though I made changes to modprob.conf.) Any help at this point would rock as I am stumped.

I have read on a couple google sites that the sound issue is a KDE only issue (within YD) so I will attempt another install using gnome as the GUI on another machine. Good or bad I will later tonight post my findings.

i have the same probleam with you, sound event is ok without bebebe sound, but others is failed, it still uses dmasound_pmac but not snd_powermac, why?
craks
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby anorexorcist » 17 Jan 2005, 07:42

StarKnight83 wrote:from what ive seen the biggest problem is using kde (while this is one of the most user friendly desktop eviroments, has some problems :cry: ) if sound is a big necessity try gnome (i believe that it works here-can someone confirm or deny this, as i only have the support libs for gnome and kde install-i run windowmaker (from source) on my system)

I'm using gnome for ydl 4 on a dual 1.8ghz g5. I've got no sound (none at all) from onboard soundcard. I've tried the suggestions posted here, but still have not heard anything from my ydl4 sound system
anorexorcist
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby NeoAmsterdam » 21 Jan 2005, 19:52

StarKnight83 wrote:from what ive seen the biggest problem is using kde (while this is one of the most user friendly desktop eviroments, has some problems :cry: ) if sound is a big necessity try gnome (i believe that it works here-can someone confirm or deny this, as i only have the support libs for gnome and kde install-i run windowmaker (from source) on my system)

Nope - No dice with GNOME either, but I did find that the kWiFi app and gStreamer did make some noise somehow...

If you talk to Kai again, Hextar, let 'em know that I'd buy YDL4 as soon as sound is fixed. There's no reason on Earth why I'd buy software that doesn't function as well as its predecessor.
[/quote]
NeoAmsterdam
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby virgule » 21 Jan 2005, 21:47

NeoAmsterdam wrote:If you talk to Kai again, Hextar, let 'em know that I'd buy YDL4 as soon as sound is fixed. There's no reason on Earth why I'd buy software that doesn't function as well as its predecessor.

Words!

EDIT: removed FUD ;)
Last edited by virgule on 31 Jan 2005, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
To Be or Not To Be?? --This is NOT even a question...
virgule
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby pizzach » 23 Jan 2005, 13:12

I just installed ydl 4.0 for the first time. I never had that dialog pop up for me in 4.0, maybe 3.01 though. But, once set up, no sound comes from my system. Though I find if I go into kmix, up all of the volume controls, the sound card starts to work again. The only sound problem I noticed from then on is the alert beep would do a scary static sound. Otherwise everything else seems fine about. The other problem is that everytime I log on, I have to turn down the pcm2 sound and jack it back up with the autodetect soundcard app open and running the alert sound to get sound to start working in the system again. It's really really weird.

Otherwise, I haven't done any kernel updates or changed any preferences for the card in the sound control panel. Anyone try this? Anyone have any more information?
pizzach
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby simonsim » 23 Jan 2005, 20:24

pizzach wrote:I just installed ydl 4.0 for the first time. I never had that dialog pop up for me in 4.0, maybe 3.01 though. But, once set up, no sound comes from my system. Though I find if I go into kmix, up all of the volume controls, the sound card starts to work again. The only sound problem I noticed from then on is the alert beep would do a scary static sound. Otherwise everything else seems fine about. The other problem is that everytime I log on, I have to turn down the pcm2 sound and jack it back up with the autodetect soundcard app open and running the alert sound to get sound to start working in the system again. It's really really weird.

Otherwise, I haven't done any kernel updates or changed any preferences for the card in the sound control panel. Anyone try this? Anyone have any more information?

Yes it has, the boards had issue so the last couple posts addressing this are gone. The problem I saw posted was that everything will work again until the next restart (will happen sooner or later on the i/pbooks). The only thing I haven't seen before posted, is needing to have it all open when you are doing it. Either from command or X I have never tried to run two, three or any combo of apps at the sametime. I wiill try your _fix_ on the test ibook....

For those who don't know cause the post is gone...

My suggestion is: simple config changes, kernel upgrades, YUM and different applications do not make the core issue go away only those things only mask the real issue(s) in YDL 4.0's sound on ibooks, pbooks and certain desktops......they otherwise work perfectly...if true working sound out of the box is your wish on any of those effected machines you should use 3.0.1
simonsim
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby anorexorcist » 24 Jan 2005, 08:13

simonsim wrote:
pizzach wrote:if true working sound out of the box is your wish on any of those effected machines you should use 3.0.1

will ydl3 run on g5 's? I was unaware. Please inform if you know. I liked it on my old emac g4 ;)
anorexorcist
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 24 Jan 2005, 14:06

anorexorcist: its possible, but you'll need to update all the kernel support libs and compile ur own kernel
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

New Info

Postby simonsim » 24 Jan 2005, 17:56

I was informed last night on the IRC channel (irc.freenode.net #yellowdog) that 4.0's sound on i/pbooks is now workable. I was told that doing an install, YUM and reboot will result in working sound. Not sure if minor configs need to be made or if it will work "out-of-the-box" + YUM.

Since a number of OPs, power users and the SOP on #yellowdog felt there were no issues I decided to give it a run. As I am posting sitting next to an ibook doing my 4.0 install. I will post my results and or mods needed here.

--------edit
1:19pm central time::: as of right now no changes have been found. Will be returning to #yellowdog see what I did wrong.
simonsim
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

sound no worky - linux defective

Postby philipm » 25 Jan 2005, 03:44

I updated my G4 powerbook (1.5GHz) to kernel 2.6.9-1, edited /etc/modprobe.conf to make it only install and remove snd_powermac

tried alsl and oss menu options in control center and still no sound

when i play test sounds in control center i just get white noise for 95%.

music cds don't work in KsCD player.

Like nothing works.

Linux should be seen and not heard.

Update: ripping the cd in the gnome music player and playing the ripped track worked. Of course nothing else about the sounds system works. "noatan" application plays ripped track as noise.
philipm
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

PreviousNext

Return to X and Multimedia