Upon upgrade to ydl4.0 sound no longer works :-(

Any problems with the Xserver, Configs or Sound.

Postby ZeroVerteX » 07 Feb 2005, 22:21

Ruiner54 wrote:I have had the same problem since installing YDL 4....I would get sound at first, with a lot of buzzing and then get that error message.

When I installed, I decided to GNOME as well as KDE. My sound on my imac standard g3 500 is working great in GNOME, just not on KDE

Okay, why can't I get my sound working in Gnome?
ZeroVerteX
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

KMix causing mute/scratchy sound on 12" ibook g4

Postby srobards » 09 Feb 2005, 03:09

I had same issue on 12" ibook G4 in KDE. I had already switched to ALSA per the previous messages and upgraded to 2.6.9 kernel. Someone mentioned they had a similar experience when KMix muted their sound.

I opened Sound & Video -> KMix and checked; the sound was muted.I looked at the output tab, activated it, and found setting the 2 PCM columns to 6 and The Master to 9 and all other outputs (Base, Treble, Beep, DRC Range and Monitor Mix) to 10 gave me sound in KDE.

I admit I am a Newbie, but maybe it will work for you.

oh, yeah. Can someone tell me why it worked?
srobards
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby virgule » 09 Feb 2005, 21:58

To Be or Not To Be?? --This is NOT even a question...
virgule
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby anorexorcist » 10 Feb 2005, 06:44

Doesn't look like audio support for g5's is included :(
anorexorcist
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 11 Feb 2005, 06:32

To be honest im not sure how long it will take for the g5's sound to get supported (the big thing they were working on is just getting it to work on the machines it used too-now that thats accomplished at least partitally theyll probably dedicate most time hacking the g5's sound chipset) though an option would be to get a pci card (think it has slots for them) thats supported
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby anorexorcist » 11 Feb 2005, 07:59

StarKnight83 wrote:To be honest im not sure how long it will take for the g5's sound to get supported (the big thing they were working on is just getting it to work on the machines it used too-now that thats accomplished at least partitally theyll probably dedicate most time hacking the g5's sound chipset) though an option would be to get a pci card (think it has slots for them) thats supported

I'm willing to wait.
I've investigated my options and other distros are all at the same level of developement for g5's, or so it appears to me, anyway. The one thing I don't understand, since you mentioned it, is how could a previous version of YDL provide support where a newer version fails. Oversight? I just don't get it.... I mean if I still had my eMac 1ghz g4 with YDL3 and I upgraded to YDL4 and lost hardware support as a result, I'd be a bit peeved or very curious to say the least. Can you shed some light on that, StarKinight83? Just thinking about something like that occuring makes my brain hurt, even though I chuckle about it for some reason :shock:
anorexorcist
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 11 Feb 2005, 08:28

audio was lost cause of the way sound is delivered from the system (the hardware abrtraction/interface layer) the old kernel 2.4.x used OSS (open source sound) this was depreciated in 2.6.x by ALSA alsa is a more advanced way of doing it. well ALSA was/is really screwed up for ppc systems (from what ive heard the main alsa dev doesnt even currently have an apple system) So one of the devs at TSS (owen i believe) went and took the opendarwin sound drivers and either did a hack on the alsa drivers w/ that code or rewrote the alsa drivers w/ what he learned. If im wrong in any part of this someone feel free to correct me.
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Yumming

Postby codonnell » 15 Feb 2005, 06:26

So...how soon does this show up when I YUM? :)
codonnell
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby sid77 » 09 Mar 2005, 14:12

StarKnight83 wrote:well ALSA was/is really screwed up for ppc systems

I've just switched from a gentoo/ppc to a YDL 4.0 (after a down caused by my power adapter death I found ~100Mb of source to be compiled and I was pretty tired of building stuff :p)
over there I was using alsa and xfce with no troubles at all, imo all these problems are caused by arts

I've just yum update-d and switched to gnome and everything works (or it seems so ;)

bye
sid77
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby hexstar » 23 Apr 2005, 17:53

Well I can confirm that sound works great in YDL4.0.1 aside from the fact that the sound that occurs when a error message appears is fuzzy so it seems like they're making great progress :D
hexstar
ydl addict
ydl addict

Previous

Return to X and Multimedia