YDL 3.0.1 and Radeon 7000 (Mac Edition)

Any problems with the Xserver, Configs or Sound.

YDL 3.0.1 and Radeon 7000 (Mac Edition)

Postby darwinboy » 05 Mar 2008, 14:36

I have a beige G3 366 Power Mac which has OS 9 and OS X (through XPostFacto) installed. The Radeon 7000 card runs perfectly well under these two OSes. When I installed YDL 3.0.1, I discovered that only the built-in video works. The Radeon 7000 doesn't.

Since I am a newbie to the world of Linux, I am wondering if it's possible to get this card up and running in YDL 3.0.1? If so, what steps are necessary?
Roland :)
darwinboy
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Video Kernel Arguments

Postby NeoAmsterdam » 06 Mar 2008, 21:33

I'm 95% sure that the problem can be solved (or at least ameliorated) with the right kernel arguments. Kernel arguments are hints/instructions that get passed to Linux so that it can boot itself properly.

Since your Mac is a native to Classic I'm going to assume that you're running BootX. If so, you've got four chances of getting it wrong ;-)

You'll notice the little text-area at the bottom of the dialog box when BootX kicks in. That's where you put your kernel arguments. Tacking on video=radeon should do the trick. If you get a blank screen, then you may have to tinker with the no video driver and force video settings check boxes in the advanced settings - press the Options... button on the dialog and you'll see them.

If my assumption was wrong and you're booting from CD or via OpenFirmware, then you'll have to type linux video=radeon after you've chosen to boot YDL.

Please note that video=radeon on its own may not be enough to get you going - you may need additional arguments, such as vmode, cmode, resolution, etc. My PowerMac 9600, for example, needs to be fed video=imsttfb:vmode:14,cmode:24 and no video driver in order to show signs of life. You may need to do the same; then again, you might get it right the first time. Either way, be ready to scour the 'net for more info.

Addendum: I thought the question sounded familiar...
NeoAmsterdam
ydl lover
ydl lover

Return to X and Multimedia