starting linux

Any problems with the Xserver, Configs or Sound.

starting linux

Postby hopping_tortoise » 20 Oct 2008, 07:42

1.) hi, whenever i try to start linux for the first time, the screen reads: "red hat nash version 6.0.9 starting" but then does nothing and that message just stays there. i have left it for over an hour on that screen to see if it loads but it doesn't. the instalation process went perfectly because the guide was so percise but i now cannot load linux. i have been looking through other posts and some of them seem to have the same problem but have solved it.
2.) is the 480i seting for normal televisions or for HD televisions?

thanks-rob
hopping_tortoise
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: starting linux

Postby ppietro » 20 Oct 2008, 19:12

hopping_tortoise wrote:1.) hi, whenever i try to start linux for the first time, the screen reads: "red hat nash version 6.0.9 starting" but then does nothing and that message just stays there. i have left it for over an hour on that screen to see if it loads but it doesn't. the instalation process went perfectly because the guide was so percise but i now cannot load linux. i have been looking through other posts and some of them seem to have the same problem but have solved it.
2.) is the 480i seting for normal televisions or for HD televisions?

thanks-rob

Hmm - interesting. Did you actually create a Linux partition before you did the install? That is, from the PS3 GameOS side, did you repartition and format your drive? Also - do you have any USB drives plugged in? They might confuse the boot process. Try unplugging any memory cards or USB external drives and rebooting.

Another question: did you do any post editing of /etc/yaboot.conf after installation? That might cause this too.

Finally - the 480i setting is generally for normal televisions. HD would normally be 720p, 1080i, etc.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: starting linux

Postby hopping_tortoise » 20 Oct 2008, 19:46

thanks, my version of linux is now running smoothly. :D
thank you for your help - rob
hopping_tortoise
ydl newbie
ydl newbie