None of the full screen modes working properly (ps3/ydl6).

Any problems with the Xserver, Configs or Sound.

None of the full screen modes working properly (ps3/ydl6).

Postby agatek » 03 Dec 2008, 03:06

Hi,

The problem: all the full screen modes produce images larger than the display area so some of the image next to the screen edges is missing same "amount" from each side. This is regardless the TV, and X/text mode used (console/desktop/720ip/1080ip/50/60Hz whatever). It is like a virtual screen or something you can usually correct with modelines via xvidtune for example but xvidtune is here not working.

Any idea what could be behind?

m.
agatek
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: None of the full screen modes working properly (ps3/ydl6).

Postby ppietro » 03 Dec 2008, 05:41

agatek wrote:The problem: all the full screen modes produce images larger than the display area so some of the image next to the screen edges is missing same "amount" from each side.

Actually - that's not exactly true. The issue is that your tv/monitor has some built-in overscan. This is why the edges are gone.

Some TVs have a "1 to 1" mode - or a way of displaying all the picture - including the areas lost to overscan. We have some posts that deal with possible solutions for this - do a search for "overscan" in the search box above.

This is regardless the TV, and X/text mode used (console/desktop/720ip/1080ip/50/60Hz whatever). It is like a virtual screen or something you can usually correct with modelines via xvidtune for example but xvidtune is here not working.

Unfortunately, due to the way the PS3 framebuffer driver is compiled in the stock kernel, neither modelines nor xvidtune will work. Some folks use a custom kernel that allows adjustment of some of these parameters. I think the search I suggested above will turn up some of the posts with that solution.

It's easier to use your TV to correct for this though - assuming your TV has that control. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 03 Dec 2008, 05:45

ppietro wrote:We have some posts that deal with possible solutions for this - do a search for "overscan" in the search box above.

Here's a good post to start:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4283&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=overscan

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby agatek » 03 Dec 2008, 06:56

Paul,

Thanks for your quick response. Yes, this is the overscan issue and somehow I missed it looking for a solution. I can even switch it off with my tvset but then it affects all the inputs and they do not look that good anylonger :)
I tried the fbset and this is what I get:
Code: Select all
ps3-video-mode -v 3 -f
video mode:131

fbset
mode "1280x720-60"
    # D: 74.178 MHz, H: 44.957 kHz, V: 59.942 Hz
    geometry 1280 720 1280 720 32
    timings 13481 220 70 19 6 80 5
    bcast true
    rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,8/24
endmode

and now, whatever I do it works fine if I stick to the settings outputted by fbset, so:
fbset -a -xres 1280 -yres 720

is effective, but if I try to alter the things, eg.:
fbset -a -xres 1276 -yres 716
ioctl FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument

I get the invalid arg. error.

I tried it within runlevels 3 and 5 with no apparent differences.

Marcin
agatek
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 03 Dec 2008, 16:44

agatek wrote:Thanks for your quick response. Yes, this is the overscan issue and somehow I missed it looking for a solution. I can even switch it off with my tvset but then it affects all the inputs and they do not look that good anylonger :)

Still - that is the easiest solution. :D

I tried the fbset and this is what I get:
ps3-video-mode -v 3 -f
video mode:131

fbset
mode "1280x720-60"
    # D: 74.178 MHz, H: 44.957 kHz, V: 59.942 Hz
    geometry 1280 720 1280 720 32
    timings 13481 220 70 19 6 80 5
    bcast true
    rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,8/24
endmode

and now, whatever I do it works fine if I stick to the settings outputted by fbset, so:
fbset -a -xres 1280 -yres 720

is effective, but if I try to alter the things, eg.:
fbset -a -xres 1276 -yres 716
ioctl FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument

I get the invalid arg. error.

To use fbset, you need to install a new, custom, non-YDL kernel. I can't tell if you installed this new kernel or not. My previous post links to a post that explains how to load it.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby agatek » 03 Dec 2008, 20:21

From time to time - yes, but If you need to do it few times a day this may affect a wealthy balance of personal sanity :)

To use fbset, you need to install a new, custom, non-YDL kernel. I can't tell if you installed this new kernel or not. My previous post links to a post that explains how to load it.

I am truly sorry (sometimes) for being a lazy user - I just jumped through the codes. Now it works. Thanks again including your patience.

Marcin
agatek
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 03 Dec 2008, 21:21

agatek wrote:

From time to time - yes, but If you need to do it few times a day this may affect a wealthy balance of personal sanity :)

What? You mean you didn't buy your TV exclusively for the PS3? Heresy!! :lol:

I am truly sorry (sometimes) for being a lazy user - I just jumped through the codes. Now it works. Thanks again including your patience.

No problem - I'm glad I could help. Sorry I couldn't post a solution in more detail - time has been extremely limited for me this week! :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby agatek » 03 Dec 2008, 21:56

What? You mean you didn't buy your TV exclusively for the PS3? Heresy!! :lol:

:) :) I think it is good enough I bought my ps3 mainly because of linux that I can put on it and the BD drive. This level of freakishness should probably satisfy my imidiate needs right after I will find a way to put something with linux in our kitchen.

Marcin
agatek
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to X and Multimedia