We need 1680x1059 support!!!

Any problems with the Xserver, Configs or Sound.

We need 1680x1059 support!!!

Postby jigzat » 10 Mar 2009, 06:11

Hello, I have and I think a lot of us have 16:10 displays and the only mode available with that resolution is WUXGA. In my case my display only supports up to 1680x1050 resolution and pictures look kinda stretched (in every single resolution). We need WSXGA+. Or is there a way to set up that resolution, in my case running over a PS3? Is there any way developers know about this?
jigzat
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: We ned 1680x1059 support!!1

Postby ppietro » 10 Mar 2009, 07:02

jigzat wrote:Hello, I have and I think a lot of us have 16:10 displays and the only mode available with that resolution is WUXGA. In my case my display only supports up to 1680x1050 resolution and pictures look kinda stretched (in every single resolution). We need WSXGA+. Or is there a way to set up that resolution, in my case running over a PS3? Is there any way developers know about this?

The developers know, I think. I feel your pain - I'm using a 16:10 computer monitor as well - WSXGA 1440x900. I've ended up using the 1280x720 mode for my PS3.

The issue is that it seems the PS3 hardware doesn't actually support many computer resolutions. They all seem to be variants of the HDTV specs.

That's just conjecture on my part, though.

I must say - that's one thing the Xbox 360 handles quite well. It supports connecting to computer monitors as easily as connecting to HDTVs.

In fact, it even supports VGA connections. I do have VGA for my PS3 - but I had to get the oddest cable from Hong Kong that actually converts my Component out to VGA, with a slight loss of quality.

I can post the make and model of this cable if any one's interested.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jigzat » 11 Mar 2009, 01:17

I screwed up the post name. I think you should put the cable info it maybe someone else will benefit from that info. Yeah the 16:10 issue might be related to the PS3 itself but there's gotta be a way to trick the display so when it stretches the picture it doesn't look ...uhhh ......stretched, maybe shrinking it a bit to compensate. We should send an email or something to Sony asking for 16:10 ratio support.
jigzat
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 11 Mar 2009, 17:11

jigzat wrote:I screwed up the post name.

Fixed. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CronoCloud » 28 Mar 2009, 03:16

ppietro wrote:The developers know, I think. I feel your pain - I'm using a 16:10 computer monitor as well - WSXGA 1440x900. I've ended up using the 1280x720 mode for my PS3.

Nods, my TV is also 1440x900 I settled on VESA mode 11: wxga (1280 x 768) over HDMI using mode #1547 (+full range HDMI) that's slightly closer to 16:10 (16:9.6)

In fact, it even supports VGA connections. I do have VGA for my PS3 - but I had to get the oddest cable from Hong Kong that actually converts my Component out to VGA, with a slight loss of quality.

Does the PS3 support using the VGA dongle shipped with the PS2 Linux kit? I lost mine so I can't test it.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby ppietro » 28 Mar 2009, 04:57

CronoCloud wrote:Does the PS3 support using the VGA dongle shipped with the PS2 Linux kit? I lost mine so I can't test it.

Heh - You would know that I'm probably the last human being on earth who has one of those. :D

It more or less works. A long time ago, I wrote up something about that. Let's see if I can find it.

Ah yes - even though I posted it in an HTML form - I kept a backup. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Paul

Title:
PlayStation AV Multi Out-to-VGA connector

Intro:
The PlayStation 2 Linux kit from Sony included a number of items of interest to the PlayStation enthusiast, such as the official PS2 USB Keyboard, the PS2 USB Mouse, and the PS2 HDD. Also included was a special Sony AV Multi Out to VGA connector. This is not a transcoder; apparently the PS2, and to some extent the PS3, are capable of generating a VGA-compatible signal via this connector. This document will detail how to use this cable with the PS3.

Body:
Part number:
Monitor Cable Adaptor SCPH-10320 U / 97044

Description:
The cable has two ends - a male AV Multi Out connector on one end, and a female VGA D-Sub video connector and two female, color-coded RCA audio connectors on the other end. The audio connectors are line level and are color coded red for Right channel and white for Left channel.

Installation:
Plug the cable adaptor into the AV Multi Out port on the back of the PS3. Connect RCA-type patch cables to the red and white jacks on the cable adaptor for line level stereo audio; red for Right, white for Left. Connect a monitor VGA cable to the VGA socket on the cable adaptor.

Usage:
Per the instructions on Terra Soft's website, select a videomode using the ps3videomode command. To do this, switch to text mode using Ctrl-Alt-F1, and log in as root. Next, use the ps3videomode command with the "-v" argument set to mode 34 - which corresponds to RGB, 480p, @ 60 Hz: ps3videomode -v 34

After verifying that this mode works, test other modes to determine the highest resolution that can be selected. (Note: see results section below) When a suitable video mode has been determined, change the boot configurations per the instructions here: http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/suppo ... nfig.shtml

Results:
Results have proven to be quite unpredictable. Unlike PS2 Linux, where resolutions of up to 1024x768 VESA 75 Hz @ 24bpp (or 1280x1024 VESA 75 Hz @ 16 bpp) can easily be set as long as the monitor supports "sync-on-green", this doesn't appear to be the case with the PS3.

Multiple video modes on the PS3 were tested with a number of CRT and LCD monitors with this cable adaptor. The 480p and 576p modes were the only modes that worked 100% correctly, regardless of monitor tested. This corresponds to Mode 34 and Mode 39 respectively with the ps3videomode command in YDL. (RGB, 480p @ 60Hz & 576p @ 50 Hz).

Initial testing was performed on a "sync-on-green" CRT - Sony CPD-100sx monitor. This monitor only supported 480p, 576p and 1080p RGB. The 1080p mode required some simple monitor adjustments to display correctly, and there were some aspect errors since the mode is widescreen and the monitor is 4:3, but the picture was stable. Fullscreen options could be used to extend the usable display area. Other HD modes yielded either faint magenta or faint olive text. The VESA modes could not be displayed at all.

Subsequent testing was performed on a Dell LCD monitor and a Sharp LCD projector. Results were mixed as well. Again, none of the VESA modes were displayable. Of the HD modes, the Dell rejected everything but RGB 480p and 576p. The Sharp LCD projector accepted all the HD modes, but, oddly enough, required that the video be set to YUV.

Other uses:
This adaptor can be used in standard PS3 game mode. The easiest way is to select AV multi-out from the Video Setup. Used this way, it is limited to 480p @ 60 Hz. Other modes can be selected by experimenting with the Component output settings instead of AV Multi-Out, but results vary wildly. The PS3's reset settings mode - hold down the power button for a few seconds when turning on the PS3 - can be used to recover if an undisplayable video mode is selected.

Conclusion:
The PlayStation AV Multi Out-to-VGA connector might be a good solution for connecting a VGA monitor to a PS3. However, the PS3 does not appear to provide a completely standard "sync-on-green" signal, which this connector is designed for. Therefore, monitor results can vary widely, with only the basic 480p or 576p modes guaranteed to work.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to X and Multimedia