Mednafen and The Sixaxis Controller

Any problems with the Xserver, Configs or Sound.

Mednafen and The Sixaxis Controller

Postby ace » 29 Apr 2009, 17:25

Hello all. I am a noob to Linux though I feel I have learned quite a bit in the last week through the forums here and elsewhere. My only reasons for doing the whole setup of Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 was to throw it on my PS3 and use my Sixaxis controllers for playing Nintendo (NES), Super Nintendo (SNES), and Nintendo 64 (N64) games and then to some extent Genesis would be nice too. I think N64 is out of the question for now, correct? I have SNES working perfectly with SNES9x GTk 1.51 right now with the two Sixaxis controllers. That was fairly easy. I would be just tickled pink though if someone could tell me if there really is any good way to setup the Sixaxis Controllers for NES. Right now I am using Mednafen for my emulator. I have picture and the frame rates are fine. I have sound (works great) but then I hit (Ctrl+Shift+1) or (Ctrl+Shift+2) for my controllers. When I get the thing going I keep getting the (2),(3),(4), etc when it senses different pressure from my input and thus messes up when I am playing games. I have been through the forums and just can't get anything to work. I have actually found that using the joystick on the PS3 can work well with the up,down, left,right (and that would be fine with me) but man with the A,B,RapidA,RapidB I just can't get them to work decent. I have tried other people's config file changes too. A few have worked better than others. For example, I put in a config file that some guy on here said worked perfectly for his, but I went in to play Tecmo Bowl and when I would do a pass play, the A or RapidA (not sure which) was just constantly going so it would be going through the wide receivers at a crazy rate but I couldn't stop them to pass the ball to any of them. Are these people having this problem or I am I just doing something wrong? Should I give up hope? If I plug in the controllers to the USB plug does it change anything for the bindings? Also I am looking for I way to change the Mednafen window to a fullscreen. I have it hookup up to a 70" JVC with HDMI 1080 (don't know if that would change anything or not) but with SNES9x GTk 1.51 I can just use the fullscreen mode. Mednefen right now is about 1/10 of the size of my screen. I appreciate any help anyone can give
ace
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Mednafen and The Sixaxis Controller

Postby ppietro » 29 Apr 2009, 22:14

ace wrote: I appreciate any help anyone can give

This might sound snarky - but it isn't meant that way.

Please - for future reference - it would be great if you could include paragraph breaks in your posts.

This board is staffed by volunteers with a limited amount of time. Adding paragraphs allows us to identify your questions quickly so that we can answer them. Otherwise, we have to spend too much time breaking apart a huge paragraph, which, frankly, discourages us from even attempting to answer you.

You should check out this post for question guidelines:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

(And - no - I don't use Mednafen - or I would post an answer if I had one.)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ace » 29 Apr 2009, 22:43

ok sorry about that. thanks for the help though. no snark taken :lol:
ace
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ace » 29 Apr 2009, 22:53

to break down the problems for easier reading,

i am looking for a resolution to playing roms with mednafen and using the sixaxis controllers for it if possible

i have tried editing the config for mednafen with a few people's config edits and pastings and none have worked, even the ones that people have said do work perfectly

i have the sixaxis working perfectly for snes though snes9x gtk

i do have sound and video for mednafen working fine

as i posted earlier, i do want to stretch the window to fit the screen but i think i have the config changes to figure the one out now from seaching on here i just mainly would like to know if there is no hope for my relationship with the mednafen nes roms and sixaxis controllers.

thanks again for the help and i apologize for the noob goof. i am not very versed in any forums period. :?
ace
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 15 May 2009, 14:14

ace wrote:i am looking for a resolution to playing roms with mednafen and using the sixaxis controllers for it if possible

i have tried editing the config for mednafen with a few people's config edits and pastings and none have worked, even the ones that people have said do work perfectly

Not sure which you have tried ... maybe this will help?

http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/bodeg ... 2599#p2599

As always, I'll suggest using a regular USB gamepad for PCs, or one of the Hori arcade fighting sticks for PS3 -- Linux games and emulators are generally much easier to configure with those.

as i posted earlier, i do want to stretch the window to fit the screen

Since you seem to be mostly interested in emulation you might be interested in this project:

http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/bodeg ... ?f=6&t=392

Basically it's just a script that sets up your system and installs wahcade, various emulators + config files, and scripts which launch emulators & the SPE scaler tool after a new install of YDL 6.1. Nothing that can't be done manually, but will probably save a lot of time and trouble for new users. It's still in development at the moment, though.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to X and Multimedia