Powerbook G4 + X

Any problems with the Xserver, Configs or Sound.

Powerbook G4 + X

Postby jonirons » 09 Jan 2005, 07:57

Hi. I have a 2001 (or maybe 2002) Powerbook G4 (550 MHz) and YDL 4 and it's having the usual problems with X11. However, even after doing Xautoconfig and then starting X to modify the display settings and/or editing the /etc/X11/XF86Config file, the best I can do is get the 8-bit color setting. Two other things happen when I configure it various ways: the server starts and the screen turns black OR the server crashes outright. I've tried some of the settings from the config file presented in

http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=326

(namely the "UseFBDev" "true" option and the commenting of the BUS ID) and once the color looked better, but the screen was a bit wavy. After that it was identical to the Xautoconfig settings.

Does anyone have the same model PowerBook who has set it up successfully? If so, can you give me your configuration? I suspect that it's the H and V settings that are messed up--the server sometimes doesn't crash, after all--but I can't keep experimenting with them.

If not, anyone who might be able to help, I think the graphics card is an ATI Rage [Mobility] M6 (that's what the Apple System Profiler said; the only driver I found in the Display settings on YDL was a Radeon M6); the monitor is 15"; none of the depths except for 8 bpp work; i'm using fbdev and have tried both "vesa" and "rage" card drivers (neither was reported to exist and caused the server to crash). I've used the "Apple PowerBook G4 [(2001) | (2002)]" monitor settings, to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
jonirons
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 09 Jan 2005, 14:59

try the "radeon" driver; though i am surprised that the rage one didnt work. Is DRI disabled for the time being (easier to setup the proper driver then enable 3d support)
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby jonirons » 09 Jan 2005, 19:11

I tried it with the radeon driver, but it still gave a maximum of 8 bpp, and with flickering this time. Are there any further suggestions from anyone?
jonirons
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to X and Multimedia