Mplayer says there is no video out! XMMS MP3 support?

Any problems with the Xserver, Configs or Sound.

Mplayer says there is no video out! XMMS MP3 support?

Postby pizzach » 27 Jan 2005, 19:58

Hello. I'm a new ydl user still trying to solve my media woes.

I've managed to compile and install the command line version of mplayer and yum install the gui version with the freshrpm servers but I still can't get video to play. I keep getting a no -vo error. I've tried different options but with no luck. Do I need a video card driver? I'm running a B&W G3 with a 16mb ati card. (Most likely rage) I don't know what I should be looking for.

Xine worked playing movies, but the video was extremely slow. I did a xine test and it recommended me reinstalling the xine-libs which I having not gotten to finding yet. My original install was done by yum-ing the freshrpm servers which handled everything for me.

Also, it seems the new xmms versions have removed MP3 support. Agh! All I want is an iTunes-ish/winamp-ish program that can play mp3s. It'll be a pain in the butt converting EVERYTHING to Ogg. :x A slow transition is preferable. Though, now I wonder if there is ogg support in RhythmBox/xmms? RhythmBox is the program I would prefer to get working well.

Anyone out there having more luck than I? I'm happy to have at least have fixed my major sound problems. :)
pizzach
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby nyne » 27 Jan 2005, 21:24

first get rid of the rpm version you have.
download the xmms source code from xmms.org untar it ./configure && make && make install in it's source directory

that worked for me and plays mp3's great.

i have not attempted to get mplayer running, so I won't be much help in that area... yet
fortune favours the brave
nyne
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 28 Jan 2005, 03:48

the xine libs can be found at the xine website (though you'll have to compile them)= I personally prefer xine over mplayer for dvd playback as ive found that its codec does a better job Xine
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby pizzach » 28 Jan 2005, 17:22

I'm liking xine more and more as time goes on. But, I need to figure out how to make it frame skip. All of the configure options that I have tried so far have done nothing. I need something akin to the -framedrop of mplayer. Right now the video plays a little slower than the sound and so.... :x I tried upping the discard and skip percentages to 50% from 10% but it didn't seem to have an effect.

I presently have mp3 playback back with alsaplayer. I tried reinstalling the old xmms but didn't have any luck (yet). I don't know if the mp3 support was removed from a library or if I need to uninstall something or what?
pizzach
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby DJBase » 29 Jan 2005, 00:41

I did a yum remove xmms and build new xmms from source. Works now great here.
DJBase

Postby pizzach » 29 Jan 2005, 22:03

DJBase wrote:I did a yum remove xmms and build new xmms from source. Works now great here.

Thank you DJbase. I've had some sucess by setting Xine to 100% frame drop. It's still smooth. :x It's just that the video is in general a bit AHEAD of the audio. But at least it isn't racing it like before.
pizzach
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 30 Jan 2005, 14:59

which gui for xine are u using? there are some options in the xine-ui gui that allow you to change the audio timing (like what you need to do) you may have to change the experience lvl bit (believe that its set to like novice or something by default-u want the highest)
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby hexstar » 23 Apr 2005, 18:02

you may have more luck with this problem here: http://yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=243
hexstar
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby pablo » 20 Jan 2008, 05:32

---
Last edited by pablo on 22 Jan 2008, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
Running YDL 6.1 on Image 80GB PS3 Model: CECHE01 *Add your Model # / [GNOME] / Game OS 2.60
List of my Sony Stuff, Still not a fanboy.
pablo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby pablo » 22 Jan 2008, 21:38

From now on, I will just be using GNOME to watch all of my videos, as it works fine with VLC.

as for XMMS,

I just did yum install xmms-mp3 and now it is working like a charm. :) If you search, thy will find.
Running YDL 6.1 on Image 80GB PS3 Model: CECHE01 *Add your Model # / [GNOME] / Game OS 2.60
List of my Sony Stuff, Still not a fanboy.
pablo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to X and Multimedia