Old ATI cards... any way to get hw acceleration?

Any problems with the Xserver, Configs or Sound.

Old ATI cards... any way to get hw acceleration?

Postby Caesar » 01 Feb 2005, 14:47

Searching in this forum i've found a few treads about hardware acceleration for ATI video cards.

I have a 466MHz SE iBook with an ATI Rage Mobility 128... is there any way to get hardware acceleration fot that card?

Everithing is just too slow righ now :(
Testing Yellow Dog Linux 4 on a Special Edition iBook 466 :) Succes: keyboard layout issue, wireless Problems: sounds, mplayer, xine To-do: firefox, VLC, VNC
Caesar
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 01 Feb 2005, 17:41

I tried numerous times w/ 3.0 and couldnt get the 3d accel to click (or actually activate/work at all) it might have something to do w/ the amount of ram the card/chipset has (8MB) and what are you trying to run that actually requires 3d accel? i never had any problems w/o it (well at least as long as id kept up on xines libs)
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby Caesar » 01 Feb 2005, 18:12

StarKnight83 wrote:I tried numerous times w/ 3.0 and couldnt get the 3d accel to click (or actually activate/work at all) it might have something to do w/ the amount of ram the card/chipset has (8MB) and what are you trying to run that actually requires 3d accel? i never had any problems w/o it (well at least as long as id kept up on xines libs)

I'm not runnig somenthig that requires 100% 3D acceleration... but maybe that shoud be usefull to speed up everithing whit a gui :D
Maybe i'm wrong since i'm a linux-newbie, anyway thanks for answering :)

But if only i would try to get 3D acc where should i put my hands on? :P
I've read that tread about radeon cards... is there an option for rage cards too? Just to try it.. who knows maybe...
Testing Yellow Dog Linux 4 on a Special Edition iBook 466 :) Succes: keyboard layout issue, wireless Problems: sounds, mplayer, xine To-do: firefox, VLC, VNC
Caesar
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 02 Feb 2005, 15:39

the only real bit i can tell you is that the module you need is r128 (thats the rage 128 module-though im not sure how much it applies to the mobile chip)
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Return to X and Multimedia