a mac is almost pointless without graphical hw acceleration

Any problems with the Xserver, Configs or Sound.

a mac is almost pointless without graphical hw acceleration

Postby slackthumbz » 11 Feb 2005, 12:48

I have a G4 466mHz tower with an ATI 128 video card, where the hell is the graphics acceleration and how do I enable it? if not for it's great graphics what else is the point of getting a mac with any system on it? let alone a nice polished linux system.

I also have a G3 400mHz PowerBook that is REALLY clunky and skips all the time when I try to play DVD's, what's going on there? how do I enable the 2D graphics acceleration and why isn't this kind of thing configured out of the box? I wish TSS would thoroughly test all software before release and not pander to set release dates as these obviously tend to create more problems than they solve... Let's face it YDL 4.0 was beta quality and 4.0.1 is a great improvement but I still think they should simply have refused to release ANYTHING until it was fully tested and not suffering from all these annoying bugs. Hell KDE3.3.0 for YDL 4.0 is a complete nightmare of bugs and badly tested software and I had so much trouble with it initially I eventually got rid of the whole of KDE and switched to GNOME which seems to be much more stable. After much pain and tweaking I've got some multimedia support on my laptop... haven't really tried with the G4 yet as I'm still trying to get maximum graphical acceleration out of my G3... What do I need to change in the XF86conf? I think it's something to do with the DRI settings but I'm not sure.. realistically however TSS ought to try and support and test this kind of thing before release. I'd rather wait another 6 months for a great stable and FULLY TESTED product than get a buggy OS on the correct release date.
slackthumbz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to X and Multimedia