video codec or something i need

Any problems with the Xserver, Configs or Sound.

video codec or something i need

Postby ravenous420 » 03 Aug 2009, 23:15

hey i'm new to ydl and i just finally figured out how to isntall transmission, a torrent client and got it to work, however i need some codecs or something (i'm familurizing with vista) somekind of media player that plays .mkv, .ogg, .avi and .mp4 files and maybe even some .wma or whatever.

aside from that what do i also need to be able to hook my ipod up for playback
thank you
80GB PS3 YDL6.2 on a 13" SD 480i - Worlds Smallest Television lol
ravenous420
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: video codec or something i need

Postby ravenous420 » 03 Aug 2009, 23:25

i just read somewhere that someone managed to get VLC media player, i'm at the website looking at different files to download. and i don't ever see YDL avaialable, always gentoo or ubuntu or whatever... plz help
80GB PS3 YDL6.2 on a 13" SD 480i - Worlds Smallest Television lol
ravenous420
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: video codec or something i need

Postby ppietro » 04 Aug 2009, 01:05

ravenous420 wrote:i just read somewhere that someone managed to get VLC media player, i'm at the website looking at different files to download. and i don't ever see YDL avaialable, always gentoo or ubuntu or whatever... plz help

VLC is available from Add/Remove Software if you setup your system with Fedora-extras, Livna & dribble according to this post:

Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6

NOTE: If you're using 6.2, remember not to change the URLs in your yellowdog-base.repo, yellowdog-extras.repo & yellowdog-updates.repo files. You will still need to follow the steps to add yum-protectbase - just don't worry if the links in your repos don't match what's listed in the guide.

You can also use Totem player if you install gstreamer-plugins-bad & gstreamer-plugins-ugly. Again - you can do this if you setup Fedora-extras, livna & dribble 3rd party repositories as detailed above.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to X and Multimedia