xmms and sound

Any problems with the Xserver, Configs or Sound.

xmms and sound

Postby Ruiner54 » 11 Mar 2005, 01:25

I have finally got xmms installed after fighting about glib and gtk. I decided to try the magic words 'yum install xmms' and to my surprise it was there and installed properly. Also got sound working FINALLY.....but.....

Forgive me if this has been discussed, but is there any way to save my mixer settings so they remain the same upon liogin. Im currently using xfce, but this has never worked....how do i preserve them??

More importantly.....XMMS DOES NOT PLAY MP3 due to legalities!?!?!?!? Tell me this is a joke/I can find a patch somewhere!!!!

Thanks for the continued great help guys
Standard g3 500 indigo imac
384 mb RAM
Ruiner54
ydl lover
ydl lover

Location: Sackville, New Brunswick....that's right...SACKville

Postby Ruiner54 » 11 Mar 2005, 04:22

Whoops!! I see that this will not work in previous posts. I will uninstall using YUM, but I am running into a GTK problem when compiling from source.....

hecking for gtk-config... no
checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.2... no
*** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
*** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to gtk-config.
configure: error: *** GTK+ >= 1.2.2 not installed - please install first ***

I yum GTK and GTK2, but i have no idea what i need to do...i cannot get past the configuruing due to this
384 mb RAM
Ruiner54
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby Ruiner54 » 11 Mar 2005, 04:35

Sorry guys...I figured it out....I will be infamous for doing that....asking a question due to impatience and then figuring it out.

I did yum list and found gtk+devel (i had tried gtk-devel and everything else).

But i would still like to know about saving mixer settings...please see 1st post

thanks
384 mb RAM
Ruiner54
ydl lover
ydl lover

Re: xmms and sound

Postby sid77 » 11 Mar 2005, 12:09

Ruiner54 wrote:Forgive me if this has been discussed, but is there any way to save my mixer settings so they remain the same upon liogin. Im currently using xfce, but this has never worked....how do i preserve them??

saving mixer settings depends on which sound system you actually use. ALSA use the "alsactl" command and it's automatically done on system shutdown. But ydl alsa looks like it's pretty broken atm. I don't know what OSS use, but it will be something similar.

Ruiner54 wrote:More importantly.....XMMS DOES NOT PLAY MP3 due to legalities!?!?!?!? Tell me this is a joke/I can find a patch somewhere!!!!

no, it's true. there are some problems with companies offering programs (like ydl or any other vendor) and legalities on the MP3 format. so, ydl (nor ubuntu, nor anyone else :) cannot distribute mp3 player but you can still listen to them: you have to add freshrpms extra repositories to your /etc/yum.conf (instruction here) and installing an appropriate package like mplayer or vlc (on fedora/x86 there is xmms-mp3, which I cannot find here).

I do not speak legalese but the issue seems like this: a company cannot distribute an mp3 program unless it pays some feeds, but a private can do it for free.
sid77
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Ruiner54 » 11 Mar 2005, 19:32

I just ended up removing theyum xmms I got and building it from source....now mp3s work great.

I am using OSS!!
384 mb RAM
Ruiner54
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby psychedup » 28 Mar 2005, 21:53

Thanks for sharing your experience. I installed gtk+-devel and compiled xmms from source and my mp3's play perfectly now.

I noticed the plugin that xmms uses for mp3's is libmpg123.so. I wonder if YDL's version of xmms would play mp3's if we just installed the binary for the mp3 plugin... if that's the case, maybe we could post the libmpg123.so file somewhere so that other people wouldn't have to recompile the whole program.
psychedup
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Ruiner54 » 28 Mar 2005, 22:14

I try to share my experience as much as possible and appreciate everyone else that does too. I would have been totally lost if not for this board.

People are very helpful here....I guess that's the whole linux idea though...community!!!!

Hope my info was of some help!!!

Might be a good idea to do that. What you can do is list the location in the download section. I don't think they will put it in yum due to the legalities....not sure though
384 mb RAM
Ruiner54
ydl lover
ydl lover

Return to X and Multimedia