YUM-ed to 4.0.1 and Sound Sorta Works...

Any problems with the Xserver, Configs or Sound.

YUM-ed to 4.0.1 and Sound Sorta Works...

Postby codonnell » 16 Mar 2005, 17:30

I just yummed for the latest updates, and made the necessary modifications to yaboot.conf to boot my new kernel. I'm still not having sound though. I've still got the modprobe.conf changes that people mentioned in previous posts.

I'm running on a PowerBook G3 (Believe its a Pismo).

I have noticed that if I log in as root, and do the sound-card detect app, it sits for a while (a least a minute), and eventually plays the sound. After that, sound works fine as long as I'm logged in as root. It does not work at all when logged in as my normal user account (sound-card detect or Noatun). As a matter of fact, running sound-card detect as a user has the effect of turning sound off for root, until I re-detect as root. System beeps work as long as I don't re-detect as a user.

Sound Card Detect app:

Module: snd_powermac

Subsequent runs of the detect app work fine (no delay).
codonnell
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

4.0.1 Install Didn't Fix Sound (and a few other things, too)

Postby NeoAmsterdam » 18 Mar 2005, 20:43

I'm still having the same problem you've described. Using modprobe, changing bits/KHz, and changing OSS/ALSA didn't do squat. I'm a little bit POed about this, since TSS says they "fixed" it in their press release (http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pip ... 00076.html). The test sound works perfectly - Right, left, and stereo came through loud and clear. The minute any user logs in after "firstboot", sound either goes mute or berserk. [grrr!]

Aside from that obvious thorn in Orion's side, yaboot's config is still getting the partitions wrong (It labeled my OS9 drive as "macosx"), but a quick tweak and some Holy Penguin Pee fixed that problem. Sleep is a semi-problem: If you hit the power key, it'll sleep and wake up properly; let it sleep on its own, and it'll end up comatosed. I haven't burnt a CD yet, so I can only imagine the surprise in store for me when I try...

This is on a TiBook 15" 867MHz, 768MB, 40gB, Combo Drive, and AirPort [PowerBook3,5].

...and if anyone at TSS is reading this, I'm not gonna buy the printed CDs until it's ALL fixed.
NeoAmsterdam
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby StarKnight83 » 19 Mar 2005, 00:53

hmmm....wish i could help on this one but im a little lost-i didnt have any of these problems on my ibook g4 (for better or worse-nothing to hack w/ to fix) sound works w/o a problem after the update w/ both arts and esd and i only had my ibook go comatose from the sleep bit on me once and that was before the update (fixed it w/ a little script theres a thread on it somewhere in here)
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby NeoAmsterdam » 19 Mar 2005, 12:10

StarKnight83 wrote:hmmm....wish i could help on this one but im a little lost-i didnt have any of these problems

If I have time later on today, I'll elaborate with some screenshots and (if I can) what the audio came out as.

I should note that I haven't yummed yet - That will probably change the situation.
NeoAmsterdam
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby codonnell » 21 Mar 2005, 15:52

Definitely let us know, because I did a yum based update from 4.0 to 4.0.1, which left me in about the same state that I started in (though my firefox version is better now). I'm still wrestling with the sound, which was my main desired fix.

Sounds similar to your experience though, having issues once a user logs in.

StarNight83, did you do a clean install? Or a yum based update? I'm curious if it isn't a permission issue (why SU can do it, but not users), that isn't an issue if you re-install. Does YDL when you tell it to automatically partition put HOME on another partition, so I can re-install without blowing away my files?

C'est la vie.

Cheers.
Casey

NeoAmsterdam wrote:I should note that I haven't yummed yet - That will probably change the situation.
codonnell
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 22 Mar 2005, 19:57

actually come to think about it both of the times ive installed ydl 4.0 on this ibook g4 were from the geek ed. i bought day of release so its yummed update.. And unfortunatly i dont believe that ydl puts /home on a seperate partition (take a look at fstab to see) cat /etc/fstab and look at the partitions/names
StarKnight83

Postby NeoAmsterdam » 24 Mar 2005, 04:09

NeoAmsterdam wrote:If I have time later on today, I'll elaborate with some screenshots and (if I can) what the audio came out as.

OK, so a few days have passed, but I've put together a (sloppy) 8MB page with screenshots and AIFFs that should illustrate the symptoms.

Again, I haven't yummed or modprobed because it worked under firstboot and there's no reason in hell why I should have to do anything afterwards. (actually, I never got around to doing it...)

The whole eight megs are at http://Homepage.Mac.com/NeoAmsterdam/YellowDog/YDLSound.html.
NeoAmsterdam
ydl lover
ydl lover

What about sound working on G5

Postby markiv810 » 24 Mar 2005, 20:19

I have PowerMac G5 1.6 ghz just wanted to know, if YDL 4.0.1 has sound working on the G5. Please don't tell me sound is not working even after more than 1.5 years. YDL is the only Linux Distribution out there that takes mac seriously.
markiv810
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: What about sound working on G5

Postby anorexorcist » 25 Mar 2005, 02:57

markiv810 wrote:I have PowerMac G5 1.6 ghz just wanted to know, if YDL 4.0.1 has sound working on the G5. Please don't tell me sound is not working even after more than 1.5 years. YDL is the only Linux Distribution out there that takes mac seriously.

dual 1.8ghz PowerMac G5 owner.
YellowDog 4 and Ubuntu Linux user with a blazingly fast yet completely silent computer. :(
anorexorcist
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 25 Mar 2005, 10:16

I took a look at ur page (have no idea what to tell you) though ill admit ive never heard that kde startup sound (mine has like this bubbley sound-its the same one i hear on my mandrake system on boot into kde.
StarKnight83

When would it be possible toplay songs and movies on G5

Postby markiv810 » 27 Mar 2005, 19:55

YDL support really sucks, it's been more than 18 months since G5's were released and still there is no support for alsa sound card, by what time would we have sound working on the G5 running YDL. Is it going to be live YDL 6.0 or something. Sucks
markiv810
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Happiness is a noisy TiBook

Postby NeoAmsterdam » 28 Mar 2005, 04:34

I just did a full resinstallation of Orion 4.0.1. I used the "Everthing" option in the installer, and yum update ; yum install-ed.

Sound now works. :D

Make sure to visit KMix and the alsamixer - They're defaulted to 0% volume.
NeoAmsterdam
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby StarKnight83 » 28 Mar 2005, 14:25

im sorry to rant like this but this ticks me off just a little-people things in linux DO NOT always work out of the box. it is very hard to write a driver for a chip you have the minimum specs for. Has anyone here ever written asm for anything? (My experience is restricted to the PicMicro) but its not easy and thats if you know all the registers and addresses for the chip. TSS is doing their best at working on hacking the darwin drivers to support all the sound systems (AFAIK its how they got it working now for the systems it does work on) And take a look at the changes in how code is addressed and structured between the 2.4 and the 2.6 kernels (hence the discrepencies between ydl 3.x and 4.x) modules have a completely different way of going about things. Well now that ive vented i feel a little better. Yes i understand that you paid for support for Yellowdog and that its frustrating that nothing you can see is getting finished but they have come a long way on getting everything worked out. Here's a good experiment. Install YDL 3.x on a machine and then get a 2.6 kernel to work on it. Once you have finally managed to get the kernel to actually boot and work right try to get sound (alsa not oss) and sleep working properly (better yet try this w/ the kernels that ydl 4.x started w/ 2.6.8 ) Some pretty big issues come up on the newer systems as there is no proper kernel support for them. The great devs at TSS (Kia and Owen and the ones that i dont know) have been writing their own kernel patches to fix this stuff
StarKnight83

Postby NeoAmsterdam » 29 Mar 2005, 09:46

StarKnight83 wrote:im sorry to rant like this...

Don't apologize - You're right.

The devs are working their butts off behind the scenes, and all we (the users) end up seeing is the final result. Granted, I'm not an experienced C/C++/Java/etc. programmer, so I can't truly help out except to report bugs, symptoms, and complain. But I do expect certain things out of software. In this case (1) if sound worked once, it should continue to work; and (2) if a feature is announced as functional in a press release, it should be functional when run.

Now the problem is solved on my machine, and I'm hoping that other YDLers out there are experiencing the same success. My hat (and soon my money) is off to TSS for a solid OS.

I'm sorry if I triggered a pet peeve. As we all know, everything is always in beta. It's difficult sometimes, though, to grin and bear it.

Addendum: Let's not forget that Apple is one of the hardest CPUs to write a Linux port to, even with New World Macs.
NeoAmsterdam
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby hexstar » 23 Apr 2005, 18:00

perhaps this should be merged into here: http://yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=243 *just my two cents*
hexstar
ydl addict
ydl addict

Next

Return to X and Multimedia