confused about xorg and xf86config

Any problems with the Xserver, Configs or Sound.

confused about xorg and xf86config

Postby Ruiner54 » 21 Mar 2005, 23:42

Since I have installed YDL 4.0, I have never been able to locate an xorg.conf file, but did everything with xf86config file....are these kind of the same thing; in other words, can I only have one or the other??

The reason I am concerned is that I thought YDL should have an xorg.conf file for certain things...I am trying to enable the compositor in xfce and it requires xorg 6.8 or better. Someone on the xfce board told me that I had xf86config instead of the xorg file and that I needed to "upgrade"

Is this correct? I would have asked him for more help but he did not have much experience with PPC linux

Any help would be appreciated (I am also trying to find some documentation that will explain it all to me)

Thanks
Standard g3 500 indigo imac
384 mb RAM
Ruiner54
ydl lover
ydl lover

Location: Sackville, New Brunswick....that's right...SACKville

Postby StarKnight83 » 22 Mar 2005, 19:49

X.org searchs for its xorg.conf file first then falls back to the xf86config.conf file. Ydl 4.x does use xorg (x.org 6.6) so you need to compile ur own ver. if you want to use compositor (get the latest source tarball and go from there if you want too)
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby Ruiner54 » 23 Mar 2005, 21:24

i have to compile my own? from source code then? I'm afraid to start fooling with xf86 and xorg because i at least know the potential to screw up my system ibecause im not real sure what I'm doing.....i think i will leave it for now
Standard g3 500 indigo imac
384 mb RAM
Ruiner54
ydl lover
ydl lover

Location: Sackville, New Brunswick....that's right...SACKville

See my new post--

Postby autocrosser » 11 Jun 2005, 16:28

Ruiner54 wrote:i have to compile my own? from source code then? I'm afraid to start fooling with xf86 and xorg because i at least know the potential to screw up my system ibecause im not real sure what I'm doing.....i think i will leave it for now

Hi There--I just posted a HowTo to install the "new" version of Xorg 6.8.2--without "nuking" the old install--It is currently posted to this forum, but should be in HowTo soon---- :D

I believe this will solve your problem :shock:

Cheers!!
Dean
autocrosser
ydl lover
ydl lover

Return to X and Multimedia