Sound and DVD movies on dual 2Ghz G5 PowerMac

Any problems with the Xserver, Configs or Sound.

Sound and DVD movies on dual 2Ghz G5 PowerMac

Postby debush » 26 Mar 2005, 02:12

Since audio is currently not working with the PowerMac G5 sound card, I purchased a Griffin iMic usb Audio device (~$40.00) a few weeks ago, and yes sound does work using the Imic by following the two Yellow Dog How to's.

1. Configure the Griffin USB Audio Audio Device
2. Configure Sound in YDL v4.0.1

Following these 2 How To's, auio worked and CD's can be played with XMMS.

This aftermoon (Mach 25) I use the Xine install discussion poseted by JE Sacco in Wed 22, 2004.
After solving all the dependices xine would load. I had to determine which video driver of the ones listed in the Xine man command to use. I finally used th xshm driver..

Startinting xine as shown below

xine -V xshm -A oss dvd://

The dvd device must be created by linking dvd to /dev/cdrom as shown below and setting permissions.

ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/dvd
chmod 666 /dev/cdrom

DVD movies play well and the sound is quite good with the Griffin iMic usb audio device.

Audio CD's can also be played with the xine as well as with XMMS. Audio CD's will not currently play with the KDE CD player without modification's and recompiling. I believe I'll be satisified for the time being using xine to play audio CD's on the dual 2Ghz Powermac.

I'l now be using Yellow Dog more on the Mac as I have stuck to using various Linux distributions (Mandrake and Fedora) as well as FreeBsd on my PC's ecause audio did not work.

Bottom Line is, with the Griffin iMic usb audio device, the G5 Powermac's can play CD's and DVD's.

DE Bush
Dale E. Bush
debush
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby xfurious_mindx » 21 Apr 2005, 05:35

yes, this setup also works on a powerbook g4 as well...
although i am not using external audio devices

:D
xfurious_mindx
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to X and Multimedia