ppietro, I need your help on a VLC sound issue on PS3/YDL

Any problems with the Xserver, Configs or Sound.

ppietro, I need your help on a VLC sound issue on PS3/YDL

Postby Psychokillaz79 » 24 Aug 2011, 03:56

Whenever I play a movie on my VLC player on my PS3/YDL on Gnome, the sound will cut off mid way through the movie. Only a reboot will fix and sound will come back. It is very annoying. Many have this issue. Any hotfix? I have tried many thing with no luck like starting and loading movie from terminal. Sound still cuts out. Also tried totem movie player and gnome mplayer and both of those have issues to. totem movie player sound cuts off too or sometimes plays movie in fast forward with sound normal. gnome mplayer plays ok until I make it fullscreen & then small screen mixes with the fullscreen for 2 pictures of the same movie and is all jacked up. I want to use VLC though because it is the best imo but this sound issue really sucks and is ruining the experience of playing movies on my Yellow Dog Linux/PS3. Any help would be appreciated. Thnx
Psychokillaz79
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: ppietro, I need your help on a VLC sound issue on PS3/YD

Postby ppietro » 24 Aug 2011, 09:42

Psychokillaz79 wrote:Whenever I play a movie on my VLC player on my PS3/YDL on Gnome, the sound will cut off mid way through the movie. Only a reboot will fix and sound will come back. It is very annoying.

What type of file are you trying to play? MP4? MKV? Something else? Also - what is the resolution of the movie? In other words - is it 720p? 1080i? 1080p?

If I had to make a guess, I'd say the movie is too complex and too high a resolution, and you're losing sync.

VLC is a standard Linux program, so it only uses the PPE core of the Cell - not the satellite SPE processors. Since PS3 Linux has no video acceleration, the PPE has to control the framebuffer display as well. The combination of VLC and the framebuffer running on the PPE limits the usable video resolution that can be displayed.

In other words, what we've found is video that's larger than about 640x480 has real issues with PS3 Linux. :(

For these reasons, I normally use the GameOS to watch videos on my PS3 and reserve Linux for browsing, word processing, etc. Don't forget that the GameOS has a built-in DLNA client. Personally, I set up a DLNA server on my file server and stream video to my PS3's GameOS, bypassing Linux entirely.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Psychokillaz79 » 24 Aug 2011, 12:55

It happens on mp4, mkv, mpeg2 etc Also has happened on DVD rip or crappy TS or Cam rips. It doesn't seem to discriminate much on kind of file or quality. I was told it might only happen with crap copies, but last night the sound cut out more than once for the first time. 4 times on a dvd quality rip. (usually it cuts out halfway through movie & then I need to reboot PS3 and reload movie to that point and it finishes without cutting out again but not last night. It cut out 4x before the finish of movie) I know this wasn;t much help but I have spoken with many people that have this issue. If google sound cuts out on VLC you will see many on regular PC Linux or PS3/YDL/Ubuntu have this problem alike. I also spoke with this about others on a different message board that had same problem. They said please let them know if I find a fix because they have tried. Also under VLC-tools-preferences I have tried to mess around with the setting but there is no option to save changes on the VLC/PS3/YDL like there is on VLC on my PC?

I allocated all my gigs to my Other OS. I only have 10GB on Game OS due to me having a slim with 500 GB for gaming. I have 100+ movies and 60k roms with 25 emulators (Zerogame) on my YDL/PS3 Other Os. So I can't fit 90% of my movies onto the Game Os or I would. I was hoping to find a way to fix this sound issue if possible.

Is there a possible way to update VLC for PPC/PS3/Gnome/YDL?
Psychokillaz79
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Psychokillaz79 » 26 Aug 2011, 23:48

ppietro did you get my reply?
Psychokillaz79
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 27 Aug 2011, 07:19

Psychokillaz79 wrote:many on regular PC Linux or PS3/YDL/Ubuntu have this problem alike.

If this happens on regular PC Linux, and there's no posted solutions in the VLC source code, then we won't have any luck here either, I'm afraid. :(

Psychokillaz79 wrote:Is there a possible way to update VLC for PPC/PS3/Gnome/YDL?

Oh - there's always a way. You can always build VLC from the latest source code- but that assumes they have some fix for this, which it sounds like they don't.

BTW - I'm not involved in the VLC project in *any* way - I've never contributed code to the project, nor have I built VLC from source code. I only build mplayer-ps3 - which you can read about here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5975&start=60#p36528

Also - be aware that the ps3bodega repository has a newer version of VLC than the livna/dribble/fedora extras repositories. I'm out of time tonight, but if you search the forum, you should find instructions on how to setup ps3bodega and update VLC.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. In answer to your question:

Psychokillaz79 wrote:ppietro did you get my reply?

Yes I did. :)
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Psychokillaz79 » 28 Aug 2011, 22:28

I wrote that kind of confusing. I meant people on Linux on PC or PS3 have the same problem. Now on my Windows Laptop I have never had the sound cut out. Must be a Linux/VLC sound issue? Under VLC-tools-preferences I have tried to mess around with the setting but there is no option to save changes on the VLC/PS3/YDL like there is on VLC on my PC? Why isn't there a save option at the bottom like on my windows vlc? I'd like to mess around in the audio and codec settings but every time I do it does not save changes. I found this solution on the internet for VLC sound - "All I did was check the "use S/PDIF when available" box under the audio settings section of preferences. Simple, yet a lucky guess too." I found where to do that but cannot figure out how to save new setting after since the save button on bottom of page is not there like on windows vlc settings? Any info on how to save settings would be great.

I have a Gnome mplayer question. When I try to watch a movie in fullscreen it is all messed up it keeps the small screen version and mixes with the fullscreen. Any tips on how to make it fullscreen without it mixing with normal size version to mess up the picture? I have never been able to watch a movie all the way through since the picture messed up in fullscreen. I do not know if the sound will cut out like on VLC or totem movie player does.

I have also had the sound cut out on Totem movie player just like VLC. It has to be some sound issue with YDL/PS3 since it happens on both?

Btw thank you for all your help through the years and support for YDL on PS3!
Psychokillaz79
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 29 Aug 2011, 15:44

Psychokillaz79 wrote:I wrote that kind of confusing. I meant people on Linux on PC or PS3 have the same problem.

Actually - that's the way I understood you, and answered accordingly. Linux sound support can be confusing and weird - there's no real audio standard for Linux like there is for Windows. My point was simply that if they - the VLC folks - don't have a regular PC Linux patch, then we - PS3 Linux folks - certainly won't have one. :)

Psychokillaz79 wrote:I found where to do that but cannot figure out how to save new setting after since the save button on bottom of page is not there like on windows vlc settings? Any info on how to save settings would be great.

I'm away from my Linux box right now - I'm on vacation - so I don't have access to my VLC installation. Since I don't use it very often, I can't recall that dialog box from memory. Anyone else able to help with this question?

Also - I will mention one thing. You should check your home directory and see if, perhaps, you no longer have read/write permission to the VLC settings file. Usually, settings files in Linux are hidden by including a "." in front of the file name - tricky huh? :D

From a terminal window, you will have to use the ls -al command to see these hidden files. I would look for something like .vlc or .vlc-settings. The ls -al command will also show you the owner of the file. If, somehow, the root account "owns" the VLC settings file, this would explain why you're not able to write changes to it. You can just "re-own" the file with the chown command.

Psychokillaz79 wrote:I have a Gnome mplayer question. When I try to watch a movie in fullscreen it is all messed up it keeps the small screen version and mixes with the fullscreen. Any tips on how to make it fullscreen without it mixing with normal size version to mess up the picture? I have never been able to watch a movie all the way through since the picture messed up in fullscreen. I do not know if the sound will cut out like on VLC or totem movie player does.

I would try one of the custom mplayer-ps3 builds. I think there's one on ps3bodega. What you do is launch this mplayer from a full text mode screen - i.e. init 3 - not the GUI mode - i.e. init 5. You also launch this mplayer with the PS3 scaler support turned on, via a command line argument: -vo ps3 This should go fullscreen with no issues.

The PS3 scaler does have some issues with X Windows, so you can't launch it with this argument directly from Gnome.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to X and Multimedia