How to start vncserver

Running YDL on a Server.

How to start vncserver

Postby granath » 05 Jan 2006, 21:04

Hello,

How to start vncserver. I have tried to run vncserver command over ssh. It works ok, even asks password. But I cannot connect to port over net what server should make eg. blablah.com:1

I have tried to connect vncclient to address blablah.com:1 and blablah:5901 and blablah:5801 and over SSH connection.

Firewall is off.

Server seems to be running..

vnc log show only:

Xvnc version 4.0 - built Jan 8 2005 16:57:17
Underlying X server release 60700000, The X.Org Foundation

error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!
No VNC extension on display :1

Anybody any suggestions
granath
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby kamika » 06 Jan 2006, 16:29

hi there,
I use tightvnc for quite some time.

when you start the server, it gives you some feedback which window it is using.
if it's the first one, its usually :1

then you connect to it with
Code: Select all
vncviewer ipaddress:1

make sure (just for this test case) you have the same versions installed

even though your firewall is off, is there some router or iptables setting preventing a connection?
try scanning the ports of your server with e.g. nmap an check if the appropriate port is open.

so far.. :roll:
kamika
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to start vncserver

Postby lor » 09 Jan 2006, 12:46

I have the same problem, running with ydl 4.0 on a G4.

The message 'No VNC extension on display :1' is comming from vncconfig ( executed by the xstartup script in /home/../.vnc/ ). It means that it can't connect to the VNC server for display 1 ( he's looking at the RFB server on port 5901 ).

It looks like Xvnc managed to create the Xserver part ( can see socket listening on port 6001, with netstat -lp ), but not the RFB part: can't see any socket listening on port 5901 ( nor 5801 for the mini http server ).

This is further indicated if you look at the vnc log file for the corresponding screen ( in .vnc/.. ). Normaly there should be some text messages starting xith 'vncext:'. Some should say 'vncext: open socket 5901 .. ' ( or something of the like, quoting from memory ).

I had a look at the source code, this should be coming from a file called vncExtinit.cc, this one call in turn another called XserverDesktop that create the listening sockets. It does not look like theses are not called at all, do not know why.

The same source seems to be used to create the vnc.so extension module to add to X11. This one works OK ( load the module in X11 and you will see that a listening socket is created on port 5900 ( display 0 ). So I guess the package has been compiled ok.

I don't known where else to look tried the -log option with Xvnc, but can't get much more information from there.

Do you have the same problem ? my vnc-server package info ( returned by yum info vnc-server ) give version 4.0, release 5. Do other users that use this package ( same version) got it working ok ?

Many thanks.

granath wrote:Hello,

How to start vncserver. I have tried to run vncserver command over ssh. It works ok, even asks password. But I cannot connect to port over net what server should make eg. blablah.com:1

I have tried to connect vncclient to address blablah.com:1 and blablah:5901 and blablah:5801 and over SSH connection.

Firewall is off.

Server seems to be running..

vnc log show only:

Xvnc version 4.0 - built Jan 8 2005 16:57:17
Underlying X server release 60700000, The X.Org Foundation

error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!
No VNC extension on display :1

Anybody any suggestions
lor
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Server