Yellowdog 4.0.1 and Netatalk 2.0.x

Running YDL on a Server.

Yellowdog 4.0.1 and Netatalk 2.0.x

Postby tjm » 13 Apr 2005, 23:07

Hi all

I installed YDL 4.0.1 as "Workstation" without KDE (shortens yum updates), but with Gnome, X-development and all other development-tools I need to compile third party software from the source.

I added or activated this server services: vsftp, http, ssh. - I installed webmin 1.200 for remote administration. So far, all o.k. Working as desired.

Then I wanted to have netatalk 2.0 running on my Mac-Linuxbox to enjoy full OS X compatibility in my intranet. I downloaded and installed netatalk-2.0.3.tar.gz successfully. But...

Service "atalkd" does not show up in system-config-services and I cannot start atalkd (/usr/local/sbin/atalkd) manually. The webmin module for netatalk (installed from the webmin web-site link) refuses to work by claiming "Bad Header" on the webmin module's page when trying to call the netatalk-configuration.

Did anyone else make netatalk 2 run on YDL 4.0.1 and if so, how? What did I do wrong? And why the heck does the webmin module not work?

The same setup worked with a fully updated Fedora Core 1 on an i386 PC in a company for a long time... Installing netatalk2 was a joy on this release. Have such a PC-box here up and running. Working from the scratch...

So, why cannot YDL do this easily as well?

Kind regards,
Thomas John Matthew
tjm
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Success: YDL4 and Netatalk 2

Postby tjm » 14 Apr 2005, 09:32

Hi all

I solved the problem by recompiling netatalk 2.0.2 with the --enable-redhat switch.

Because I upgraded from 1.6.4 I had to delete the .AppleDB file in my user's home folder so it could be rebuild by netatalk 2.0.

Before I did this, no volume showed up in the Chooser after authentication.

But the webmin module for netatalk does not work still...

TJM
tjm
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Server