Why so empty ?

Just want to have a nice chat with your beer? Go ahead ;-)

Why so empty ?

Postby natgab » 01 Oct 2006, 22:42

Hi everyone,

I'm a kubuntu refugee & linux noob. Why are there so few post compared to other boards (kubuntu & ubuntu forums) ? Do you use the Fedora Forum more ?

Does YDL "just work" on G3/G4 desktops ? Seems only us laptop people and those with the G5's have trouble.

I am posting my tech question to the appropriate section.

thanks

natgab
iBook G3 466SE / OSX & YDL 5 (??)
Linux noob
natgab
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 02 Oct 2006, 18:20

alot of people were not expecting the typical "linux" experience and expect something more in the lines of OSX and windows so unfortunatly I think most people give it a try but panic when something goes wrong or doesnt work and run else where. The people who stay here generally excede the boards knowledge lvl pretty quickly and go to the mailing list. Which IMHO is bad for the board (yes I understand that answering the simple questions can get frustrating time and time again) The mailing list is pretty active and there is a lot of advanced knowledge there. Its where I go read when I have a problem that I cant solve for myself or someone here.
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby natgab » 03 Oct 2006, 06:43

StarKnight83 wrote:alot of people were not expecting the typical "linux" experience and expect something more in the lines of OSX and windows so unfortunatly I think most people give it a try but panic when something goes wrong or doesnt work and run else where.

---Linux is a "project computer" for me. And as a way to test my webpages / media on a 3rd OS. I'm ok to have some non-functioning components. Just that no wireless on a laptop kinda defeats the purpose.

The people who stay here generally excede the boards knowledge lvl pretty quickly and go to the mailing list. Which IMHO is bad for the board (yes I understand that answering the simple questions can get frustrating time and time again) The mailing list is pretty active and there is a lot of advanced knowledge there. Its where I go read when I have a problem that I cant solve for myself or someone here.

---I will give YDL a try and see if the forum/mailing list provide the hand-holding I need. I also have a PC box I can use to load an i586 distro. Currently has WinME just so I can load ringtones & picts on my phone (':D').

Also wanted to say that I hope my previous post did not come off as complaining too much. I meant an inquisitive tone to the question.
iBook G3 466SE / OSX & YDL 5 (??)
Linux noob
natgab
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 03 Oct 2006, 14:40

i didnt take it as whining. Its just my opinion as to why the members of the board seem to move on. And depending on your setup, yes linux is a "project computer" type of deal, the only exception to this is if you have a dev box to make sure all is stable and secure (like I have at my other job, test server-once stable gets rolled out to the production)
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Return to Speaker's Corner