Gaming OS GUI for PC

Just want to have a nice chat with your beer? Go ahead ;-)

Gaming OS GUI for PC

Postby jyoung0000 » 20 Oct 2006, 10:36

Gaming OS Needed

It would be great to see a PC Gaming Platform OS much like a console systems OS but for the PC. All you need is the linux kernel and build off of that or just use a simplified linux build like Damn Small Linux but build a nice professional grade Media Center type GUI for games.

You boot up into the OS just like any other OS and have only Internet, Office Suite, and Music Apps and using SDL & OpenGL as the base for game development. If needed for support reasons, you could lock the system down to keep it from being played around with by the more technically inclined for people that like to play with the system are the ones that mess it up and need support.

The video drivers could be setup from a GUI application with ATI or NVIDIA to fetch the driver when used to install the driver and could be used to update the driver when needed.

Have a GUI like a media platform with a Add & Remove Games button and install the games that are supported currently under SDL & OpenGL. This would be something that would only work with the current games with SDL & OpenGL only until game developers notice this OS available and see how potential the system is to develop games for it.

This wouldn't support past games written for Direct X though unless there was a version of cedega put on it but people don't want to mess around with cedega. This is an OS to be user friendly for everybody to use with a simple GUI strickly for games and general needed operations like downloading cheat codes while playing a game.

With this OS you can distribute it with the game bundled up as one. All you do is boot up off of the CD when you get a new game and if you have the OS already installed it boots to the OS and then installs the game; if not then it resizes and creates a partition for the OS and installs the OS and then the game.

I am not a programmer but I have studied some in programming. I don't know how far off I am on this but this is something that could work as to move games off of the Windows XP system to a system that is just for games so there isn't any unneeded services running and is custom-fit for running a game like a PS3 at least software wise.
jyoung0000
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Gaming OS for PC

Postby AirForceGamer » 24 Mar 2008, 22:10

I've been looking for something like that too. It would be uniform software. That way developers would only have to make code for that OS, they would still have to build support for different types of hardware.
42" Samsung DLP LCD / Panasonic Projector
60gb PS3/ AMD Athlon x2 Home Made PC
YDL 6.0 on PS3/ Windows XP Pro on PC
AirForceGamer
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Speaker's Corner