Is there a wine project for ydl?

Just want to have a nice chat with your beer? Go ahead ;-)

Is there a wine project for ydl?

Postby southpaw » 06 Jan 2005, 00:05

I've been trying to keep up with the osx and the linux ppc news, although I know a bit more about osx I'd bet. (dual boot)

On the OSX, there is a darwine project, and a native kde port project, and of course various programs, such as blender, wings, gimp, and openoffice with versions produced for it. (gimp is 2.2 on osx @ gimp.org, blender is 2.36 on osx @ blender3d.org, wings is .98.26 on osx @ wings3d.com, and openoffice is 1.1.2 on osx @ openoffice.org)

The only thing about osx is, that while it's nice and powerful, it's gui is, well, bloated. That and the registration... could do without that, I think. YDL makes you feel like your computer is fast and speedy. But the versions come slower unless you compile them yourself. And it seems like the newer the computer you have, the less likely linux ppc will work well on it. Although, that's probably just a false appearance.

Either way, I was wondering if there is a wine port to ydl or something like that?
southpaw
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby hexstar » 16 Jan 2005, 19:59

wine can't really be ported to ppc, wine works on pcs by taking advantage of the pc architecture and using rewritten windows libraries, macs don't have the pc architecture and thus use different instruction sets, you're better off using Microsofts windows emulator for MacOS X then waiting for a wine port to macs which likely will never happen
hexstar
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby nyne » 27 Jan 2005, 00:55

...but doesn't mean you shoudn't download the source code and hack the hell out of it so to at least attempt this feat. :)

(for the sake of my own sanity, dignity and better judgement I simply do not want to attempt this for a few reasons: a) wine runs poorly enough on pc's b) between everything I have successfully got running on YDL in the last week I am satisfied not running windows applications c) I don't like windows

the only reason i would like to see something like this accomplished is to find a decent webcam / voice chat program that is compatible with the majority of msn messenger / aim / yahoo users.. i realize gaim-vv is out there, but is verrry unstable and barely alpha.. gyach-enhanced is in about the same state.

why wine though? if you really want to clog your system (or you have one of those reaaaaaallllly pretty, expensive Mac's) why don't you try getting Virtual PC running on MOL and then go from there... (my money says it would run like crap, but sounds like a nice science experiment to me ...just don't tell anyone I told you to do this, as I clearly do not endorse any such evil tinkering hehe)
fortune favours the brave
nyne
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Speaker's Corner