PS3 thoughts

Just want to have a nice chat with your beer? Go ahead ;-)

PS3 thoughts

Postby blitzmagoo » 21 May 2009, 06:36

[MODERATOR EDIT: Split from original topic and moved here. The original post was in response to the following question.]

What do you use your YDL PS3 for?

nothing. it was a cheap blu-ray player untill i figured out it was exactly that. cheap. blu-ray player died 8 months in and couldn't find the receipt so for the 180 dollars sony wanted to replace it(with a used one!) i bought a brand new 360. and then i found out about linux on a ps3. after trials and tibulations i was able to successfully install ydl6.1 on my pos ps3(no cd/dvd/blu-ray) -no easy feat for a linux noob. then after all that i found out my 9 year old toshiba laptop running xp still boots faster and opens a web browser faster. in the end without access to the rsx in linux, one may as well be running windows 95 on a decade old machine found in the garbage. ever play forza 2 on a 360 spread across 3 hdtv's? lets see a ps3/gran turismo do that! linux is awesome, dont get me wrong, i have it on my ipod, router, ps3, pc and pda, but the performance from the ps3 is seriously lacking for anything outside scientific research, although if one can configure a cluster/node ps3 to act as the sole graphics accelerator and another for process, forget it, its too complicated. pc4life
blitzmagoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: PS3 Thoughts

Postby ppietro » 21 May 2009, 11:00

blitzmagoo wrote: ever play forza 2 on a 360 spread across 3 hdtv's? lets see a ps3/gran turismo do that!

Funny you should mention Gran Turismo. Here you go. From:
http://www.firingsquad.com/games/gt3/page10.asp

Solitaire
If you happen to have three PlayStation 2 consoles, three TVs, and three copies of Gran Turismo 3, you can use i.Link to have a super-widescreen presentation that spans over three TVs, just like the arcades. This feature demonstrates the polish of the game more than anything else, but it's there for you to try.

And - oh yeah - Gran Turismo also did 1080i - on a PS2.

Look - you might feel I'm baiting you - and I am a little. :D But - you've made some pretty outrageous statements that are primarily opinions and not facts.

Just for the record, I own a 360 and a number of PCs as well. And - let's just say - I'm not as enamored of the 360, or my PCs, as much as you are. That's fine - that's why there are different machines out there - people have their own likes and dislikes.

However - I also understand the strengths and weaknesses of the PS3 and adjust my mental picture accordingly. For instance - most of the poor performance of PS3 Linux is not due to the RSX lockout. It's due to the inability of Linux, which is architected around x86 processors, to utilize the Cell processor of the PS3 in any mode but basically a "failsafe" mode. Basically, Linux only uses the PPE - which is a moderately fast PowerPC single core, hyperthreaded, in-order-execution microprocessor and ignores the six SPEs also on the chip. If there was a Cell based OS - call it Cellnux - that actually intelligently distributed tasks across the entire Cell, then it would be a different story.

If you want to see something impressive on your PS3 that your 360 would have a hard time replicating, try this:
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/irt

This was written by IBM to run in YDL and take full advantage of the Cell. It looks like a simple 3D model - but your computer would have a very hard time running this program. This is a real-time ray tracer.

From the FAQ:
The Enzo model used in this demonstration comprises over 300,000 triangles. Typical game models are in the range of 10,000 to 20,000 triangles. We wanted to show a production class object in this demonstration that is more typical of the print and film industry.

Unfortunately, we should probably halt this conversation now before it dissolves into a flamewar. I was considering deleting your post, but I'll leave it here with my response and lock the thread.

I see you've already made some helpful posts to our forum - in the spirit of those posts, I'd encourage you to stick around. However - further flamebaiting will most likely result in forum suspension. (And not necessarily by me - I'm considered the "nice guy" :))

The choice is yours.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Speaker's Corner