Saying "farewell" to a part of Sony history....

Just want to have a nice chat with your beer? Go ahead ;-)

Re: Saying "farewell" to a part of Sony history....

Postby DGreynolds89 » 27 Aug 2009, 01:37

wow i didnt know that ps2 could run linux anyways hmm thats interesting
PSN: Dragon_of_snow
PS3: Eye, Headset, Keyboard.

Firmware: 2.80
YDL 6.2/Gnome
SDTV
USBmouse/USBkeyboard

U.S. ARMY VET
DGreynolds89
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby alastor » 27 Aug 2009, 12:03

DGreynolds89 wrote:wow i didnt know that ps2 could run linux anyways hmm thats interesting

Ye, i didn't know about it also. Pity, i had ps2 back then - why i didn't try linux on it ? It is sad indeed ...
alastor
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 27 Aug 2009, 12:36

alastor wrote:
DGreynolds89 wrote:wow i didnt know that ps2 could run linux anyways hmm thats interesting

Ye, i didn't know about it also. Pity, i had ps2 back then - why i didn't try linux on it ? It is sad indeed ...

Well - first of all - it cost an additional $199.00 US to buy the package. You had to have the Sony boot DVD to run Linux. You still do, in fact - it's encrypted. :D

It also only worked on the "fat" PS2, since the slim couldn't use the PS2 HDD. I was in contact with a fellow who was trying to get it working on a slim via an external USB drive - I don't know if he got it working or not. It required a custom, USB enabled kernel to work - not sure how well that went.

Overall, that was a pretty good bargain though - look at the picture I posted above for all you got in the package.

Of special note: Besides the HDD, custom PS2 Keyboard & Mouse, and special Network adaptor, you got a very rare VGA cable. This cable lets you output "sync-on-green" vga to any compatible monitor. I had mine set to do 1024x768 res in 24 bit color, and 1280x1024 in 16 bit color.

In fact, that cable worked much better on the PS2 than it did when I tried it on the PS3. Except for 480p, most other modes were very non-standard with odd-ball sync and colors on the PS3. I eventually had to use a different solution for VGA from the PS3.

http://www.mayflash.com/vgabox/vga004/vga004.htm

It works - but my HDMI monitor is better. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby raveer » 27 Aug 2009, 13:20

Ah, good old times. :) My old chubby PS2s (one Japanese, and one European) are safely boxed but the slim pstwo is still running and acting as a Bluetooth and WiFi access point (just RTE + 2 memory cards). Oh and let me seize the opportunity to thank ppietro and CronoCloud for all the hard work and ideas they put on PS2Linux site. In fact if it ppietro would not publish mini 2.4.17 kernel guide I think I probbably would not bother do anything usefull with it. :)
raveer
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 27 Aug 2009, 20:10

raveer wrote:Ah, good old times. :) My old chubby PS2s (one Japanese, and one European) are safely boxed but the slim pstwo is still running and acting as a Bluetooth and WiFi access point (just RTE + 2 memory cards). Oh and let me seize the opportunity to thank ppietro and CronoCloud for all the hard work and ideas they put on PS2Linux site. In fact if it ppietro would not publish mini 2.4.17 kernel guide I think I probbably would not bother do anything usefull with it. :)

That's pretty cool. Can you detail a little bit more of what you did to get it working on the Slim?

Cheers,
Paul (aka ppietro :D)
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 27 Aug 2009, 20:19

And - just for fun...

Code: Select all
[paulp@digicharat paulp]$ uptime
 12:17pm  up 83 days,  2:52,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
[paulp@digicharat paulp]$ uname -a
Linux digicharat.weasel-bot.com 2.2.1 #1 Wed Nov 14 18:28:00 JST 2001 mips unknown
[paulp@digicharat paulp]$
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CronoCloud » 01 Sep 2009, 21:24

ppietro wrote:And - just for fun...

Code: Select all
[paulp@digicharat paulp]$ uptime
 12:17pm  up 83 days,  2:52,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
[paulp@digicharat paulp]$ uname -a
Linux digicharat.weasel-bot.com 2.2.1 #1 Wed Nov 14 18:28:00 JST 2001 mips unknown
[paulp@digicharat paulp]$

Default kernel I see. I found the xrhino kernels useful for the USB storage support. I ought to swap HD's and boot up junon's HD in nibelheim.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby CronoCloud » 01 Sep 2009, 21:55

ppietro wrote:Well - first of all - it cost an additional $199.00 US to buy the package.

And if you were crazy, like a certain CronoCloud, you pre-ordered your kit without having ever used Linux before.

You had to have the Sony boot DVD to run Linux. You still do, in fact - it's encrypted. :D

Which is why my RTE disc is one of my more valued posessions. :-)

Of special note: Besides the HDD, custom PS2 Keyboard & Mouse,[/quote]

Which are very nice and comfy.

and special Network adaptor,

Which works just fine with network capable games. Linux kit owners could play THPS3 online with it before the release of the official network adapter in August of 2002.

you got a very rare VGA cable. This cable lets you output "sync-on-green" vga to any compatible monitor. I had mine set to do 1024x768 res in 24 bit color, and 1280x1024 in 16 bit color.

I always laughed at people who said the PS2 coudln't do HD/hi res and then showed them the pertinent part of XGSConfig.

It works - but my HDMI monitor is better. :D

Cheers,
Paul

HDMI is teh awesome.

Ron Rogers Jr (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby raveer » 04 Sep 2009, 10:19

ppietro wrote:
raveer wrote:Ah, good old times. :) My old chubby PS2s (one Japanese, and one European) are safely boxed but the slim pstwo is still running and acting as a Bluetooth and WiFi access point (just RTE + 2 memory cards). Oh and let me seize the opportunity to thank ppietro and CronoCloud for all the hard work and ideas they put on PS2Linux site. In fact if it ppietro would not publish mini 2.4.17 kernel guide I think I probbably would not bother do anything usefull with it. :)

That's pretty cool. Can you detail a little bit more of what you did to get it working on the Slim?

Cheers,
Paul (aka ppietro :D)

Hey, sorry for the late answer. I managed to squeeze 2.4.17 kernel plus minimal initrd onto one Memory Card. The other one is then used for additional libs, utils and root's home. I have an European 70k version machine which boots RTE with no problems and even has IDE on PCB minus the connector, but I choose not to mess around with it. :)
raveer
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Previous

Return to Speaker's Corner