70MB of additional RAM unlocked for PS3 developers

Just want to have a nice chat with your beer? Go ahead ;-)

70MB of additional RAM unlocked for PS3 developers

Postby sirgrinalot » 24 Feb 2010, 21:33

A new article has emerged say that sony has lowered the OS footprint.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/23/70mb-of-additional-ram-unlocked-for-ps3-developers/

After reading I get a sense that this has already occurred over time, but deep down inside a question grows.

What if this was connected with all the recent developments?

Think about it, a threat arose in the form of an exploit via otheros, a rumor arose regarding otheros removal in the next firmware, and now 70mb have been unlocked for developers?

If they did remove otheros they would benefit by closing an exploit, and giving developers more ram. I don't know how much ram the otheros and hyporvisor take up in the game os, but I hope it isn't close to 70mb.
PlayStation 3 80GB (CECHE01) (Upgraded to Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB), FW 3.15, YDL 6.2
Samsung LN-T3242HX 32" LCD
Logitech Bluetooth MediaBoard Pro
PS Network ID: sirgrinalot
sirgrinalot
ydl lover
ydl lover

Re: 70MB of additional RAM unlocked for PS3 developers

Postby uncholowapo » 25 Feb 2010, 16:29

If it is done through a firmware update, I wonder if it translates to 70MB free RAM on the OtherOS side too...
PS3 40GB has YDL 6.1 running 480i on a piece of $#!% Sanyo 24 incher. Need to go to 1080p.
uncholowapo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby R23 » 25 Apr 2010, 04:04

I'm quite sure they removed other OS purely to free up RAM and disguised it as a security issue. The slim never had the other OS ability and I'm sure it was their aim all along to eventually remove that functionality on earlier systems so new games could make use of this extra memory. The hack created by GeoHotzits not really usable in its current state in a way which would harm Sony (piracy etc) and I'm sure Sony could have patched the exploit without needing to 'nuke' the whole functionality.

The bottom line in my mind is that they should have never forcefully removed the other os and that PS3 should have had more RAM in the first place.
R23
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 25 Apr 2010, 06:35

sirgrinalot wrote:A new article has emerged say that sony has lowered the OS footprint.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/23/70mb-of-additional-ram-unlocked-for-ps3-developers/

After reading I get a sense that this has already occurred over time, but deep down inside a question grows.

What if this was connected with all the recent developments?

The only problem is that the article quoted is from February. (February 23, 2010) And - if you follow the reference, it links to a December 2009 article, which states the memory had already been freed at that point:

http://www.playstationuniversity.com/ps ... 50mb-1798/

However, according to Sony’s latest documents, the PS3 is now only using 50MBs for its OS, despite the addition of many new features, such as the in-game XMB. 7MBs of local memory is used, alongside 43MBs main memory.

So - it's safe to assume that this memory reduction is already present in Firmware 3.15, and that the April 1st 3.21 upgrade did not include this.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Speaker's Corner