Other GameOS

Just want to have a nice chat with your beer? Go ahead ;-)

Other GameOS

Postby billb » 17 Apr 2010, 23:19

I never thought I'd be saying this, but I just got home with a new Xbox 360!
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Other GameOS

Postby ppietro » 18 Apr 2010, 03:59

billb wrote:I never thought I'd be saying this, but I just got home with a new Xbox 360!

Heh - welcome to the club!

Let me know if you have any questions about it - I've had mine for a couple of years now.

There's a few things about the 360 that take some getting used to. The one thing I wasted the most time on was trying to get the wireless controllers to work with my PC. You'd think that because they have USB, they'd work like the PS3, but no dice - the USB cable is for charging only, and they don't speak bluetooth.

Also - I have mine vertical. Seems to deal with the heat better that way.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 18 Apr 2010, 15:31

I'm loving it so far ... still learning my way around a bit, though. The first game I'm playing is an action-RPG called "Risen." It was developed by Piranha Bytes, developers of the Gothic series on the PC, and is apparently not coming to the PS3. It has it's flaws but I really love that style of RPG. Also got Fable II and Dead Rising for starters. I know there are quite a few titles I'd like to check out that aren't available on the PS3 ... thanks to Sony and the FW 3.21 update for convincing me to buy one!

It's a shame that Sony continues to make so many disappointing decisions. Playstation Home is getting progressively worse -- it takes me about 7-8 minutes to log in, and several more minutes before the avatars are fully loaded. I used to enjoy Home but now the whole experience is so slow I can hardly stand it. Then there's the removal of PS2 compatibility. And of course the initial handling of the OtherOS feature, the removal of the feature in the Slim and future models, and finally the removal from all models via firmware update. I'm left wondering what's next ...

ppietro wrote:Also - I have mine vertical. Seems to deal with the heat better that way.

I guess there are conflicting opinions on this ... the guy at Gamestop suggested to lay it flat. Either way, the system seems to run fairly cool vs. what I'm used to from the PS3. I got the Xbox Arcade model and the "born on" date is 2/21/2010. I still need to get a hard drive for it ... maybe next week. :mrgreen:
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 23 Apr 2010, 11:25

I still don't have a hard drive yet since I found I could just use a 16GB USB flash drive for everything but original Xbox game installs. I've seen the compatibility list and wiki info, but am still wondering how well the Xbox game emulation works and if it's worth it to get a hard drive just for that?

Specifically, I know I want Thief Deadly Shadows, Jade Empire, and maybe KOTOR, but don't want to bother with it if it's a very "clunky" option. The 360 is emulating games that were originally for a 733 Mhz Pentium III based CPU? Cool. :mrgreen:
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 23 Apr 2010, 17:30

billb wrote:Specifically, I know I want Thief Deadly Shadows, Jade Empire, and maybe KOTOR, but don't want to bother with it if it's a very "clunky" option. The 360 is emulating games that were originally for a 733 Mhz Pentium III based CPU? Cool. :mrgreen:

Emulation tends to work pretty well - if the title is officially supported. I have Jade Empire - I'll fire it up and give it a try for you.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CronoCloud » 25 Apr 2010, 00:21

Traitors! :-)

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby ppietro » 25 Apr 2010, 10:42

billb wrote:I still don't have a hard drive yet since I found I could just use a 16GB USB flash drive for everything but original Xbox game installs. I've seen the compatibility list and wiki info, but am still wondering how well the Xbox game emulation works and if it's worth it to get a hard drive just for that?

Well - for me - I needed a hard drive to load the Final Fantasy MMORPG FFXI, so that was an automatic upgrade.

billb wrote:Specifically, I know I want Thief Deadly Shadows, Jade Empire, and maybe KOTOR, but don't want to bother with it if it's a very "clunky" option.

So - I just tried some of Jade Empire. It seems to work pretty well. You just put the xbox disc in and play - it's very transparent. If the 360 has to, it will automatically download and install updates for the emulator and title to be emulated.

Game quality seemed good. I haven't played it that much, but I didn't find any major issues.

BTW - according to the list of games:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwar ... eslist.htm

The December 2005 update includes the Monk Zeng content from the limited edition of Jade Empire.

billb wrote:The 360 is emulating games that were originally for a 733 Mhz Pentium III based CPU? Cool. :mrgreen:

Not just that - the ATI graphics chipset is emulating code that was originally written for an nVidia GPU. :D

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. This is my 360 - I have the Halo 3 edition:
http://cybernetnews.com/wp-content/uplo ... dition.jpg
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 25 Apr 2010, 15:52

ppietro wrote:So - I just tried some of Jade Empire. It seems to work pretty well. You just put the xbox disc in and play - it's very transparent. If the 360 has to, it will automatically download and install updates for the emulator and title to be emulated.

Game quality seemed good. I haven't played it that much, but I didn't find any major issues.

Thanks! Sounds good enough to me -- time to see what I can find on "the river." :wink: I see the tech support page in the backward compatibility section mentions problems with certain games, but no show stoppers for me.

Looks like the automatic download of added content will save me the trouble of getting the limited edition of Jade Empire -- cool.

CronoCloud wrote:Traitors! :-)

Yes, and it feels so good! :lol:
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CronoCloud » 25 Apr 2010, 18:45

ppietro wrote:
Well - for me - I needed a hard drive to load the Final Fantasy MMORPG FFXI, so that was an automatic upgrade.

Sacrilege! You should only play it on proper Playstation-foo hardware. You DO have phat PS2's sitting around don't you? :-) Besides, if you're going to play a PS2 MMORPG, play EQOA, it's more fun, even though the population on the server is tiny. Not that I play either of them, canceled my accounts, when they started to feel like "work"

There really aren't that many Xbox-foo games that I've ever wanted to play: Morrowind, Fate (frakkin Alex St. John used to sing the praises of Microsoft...until Vista), the two KOTOR's, Mechassault and Steel Battalion.

CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby ppietro » 25 Apr 2010, 20:53

CronoCloud wrote:
ppietro wrote:

Sacrilege! You should only play it on proper Playstation-foo hardware. You DO have phat PS2's sitting around don't you? :-)

You betcha! One of my PS2's was my main FFXI box for a long time. :D

I started to worry about that box breaking down, though. So - when they announced that the PS3 with hardware BC could handle FFXI, that was one of the deciding factors for me buying it - as a backup for my PS2. (Well, that, and the Linux capability. ;) )

The PS3 makes for a pretty darn good PS2, I must admit. FFXI works wirelessly, with wireless rumble controllers, and HDMI (almost-)upscaled output.

I also run it on my PCs - mostly on my laptop.

When I got my 360, I installed the client on there too. According to SquareEnix, the 360 has some enhancements that even the PCs don't have. Mainly, it's an extended draw distance and better 16:9 support.

CronoCloud wrote:Besides, if you're going to play a PS2 MMORPG, play EQOA, it's more fun, even though the population on the server is tiny. Not that I play either of them, canceled my accounts, when they started to feel like "work"

I figured one MMORPG was plenty. Did you know I even have the FFXI clock?

More info here:
http://www.hori.jp/us/products/na/vdck/index.html

(and - yes - I have two of them. :D)

CronoCloud wrote:There really aren't that many Xbox-foo games that I've ever wanted to play: Morrowind, Fate (frakkin Alex St. John used to sing the praises of Microsoft...until Vista), the two KOTOR's, Mechassault and Steel Battalion.

I think I have Morrowind around here somewhere, too. I don't have a super huge xbox (or xbox 360) library.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. Playing Silent Hill - Shattered Memories for the PS2 on my PS3 right now. Cool! :D
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 25 Apr 2010, 21:29

CronoCloud wrote:Fate (frakkin Alex St. John used to sing the praises of Microsoft...until Vista)

The Diablo-style game from WildTangent? There's no Xbox version of that... right? I have it for Windows -- great game. Or you could be referring to something else ... :lol:
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Taellik » 26 Apr 2010, 13:55

CronoCloud wrote:
ppietro wrote:
There really aren't that many Xbox-foo games that I've ever wanted to play: Morrowind, Fate (frakkin Alex St. John used to sing the praises of Microsoft...until Vista), the two KOTOR's, Mechassault and Steel Battalion.

CronoCloud,

I have the Steel Battalion XBOX game and the kick-azz controllers as well, but not the follow-up add-on disc for network play. Do you have that, and if so, is it strictly network play or are there single player games loaded on the disk for stand-alone play?

What turns me off is the requirement for XBOX Live, really reluctant to "pay" Microsoft for on-line gaming connectivity. Microsoft should see the fun to be had with Demon Souls on the PS3 as a free multiplayer enviroment!

R.I.P.
Playstation 3 / Yellow Dog Linux

Taellik
PS3 80GB, FW 3.21
EyeToy II
NO YDL 6.2 due to 3.21 firmware upgrade
PSP
PSP Go! Cam
Taellik
ydl addict
ydl addict

Location: Raleigh NC and God's Favorite Nation --> THE United States of America

Postby bonedome » 26 Apr 2010, 21:22

Hello
I've had my mate's 360 round my house for about 2 years now, it's one of the very few originals still alive, it's been gathering dust for most of that time, but recently I bought gears of war and farcry 2 for £10, unlike some I actually like the xbox controller and prefer the weight of it compared to the ps3's.
having a copy of farcry 2 for both 360 and ps3 I can say with confidence you just can't tell the difference, bit like the 1080i vs 720p argument
I also got a madcatz usb 360 controller that also works on a pc, after downloading a driver from msoft

For exclusive games though the ps3 wins hands down for me
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby billb » 30 Apr 2010, 11:22

bonedome wrote:but recently I bought gears of war and farcry 2 for £10, unlike some I actually like the xbox controller and prefer the weight of it compared to the ps3's.

Just added Gears of War, Left 4 Dead, Oblivion, and a 2nd controller to my 360 collection last night. I already have Oblivion GOTY on the PS3 but I'm not the only one in the house who plays it so now we don't have to fight over it. :wink: I prefer the size/weight 360's controller as well -- and especially the keypad addon. Not having lighted keys on the PS3's chatpad was a huge mistake -- I hardly ever use it because of that.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Taellik » 30 Apr 2010, 19:43

billb wrote:Just added Gears of War, Left 4 Dead, Oblivion, and a 2nd controller to my 360 collection last night. I already have Oblivion GOTY on the PS3 but I'm not the only one in the house who plays it so now we don't have to fight over it. :wink: I prefer the size/weight 360's controller as well -- and especially the keypad addon. Not having lighted keys on the PS3's chatpad was a huge mistake -- I hardly ever use it because of that.

billb,

If you can track it down, get a copy of Earth Defense Force for your new 360, great shoot 'em up game! Do a search on You tube for somegame play video and seek out the review of it from Classic Game Room thats is posted on You Tube for it...good stuff !

R.I.P.
Playstation 3 / Yellow Dog Linux

Taellik
PS3 80GB, FW 3.21
EyeToy II
NO YDL 6.2 due to 3.21 firmware upgrade
PSP
PSP Go! Cam
Taellik
ydl addict
ydl addict

Location: Raleigh NC and God's Favorite Nation --> THE United States of America