Upgrading to Linux

Just want to have a nice chat with your beer? Go ahead ;-)

Upgrading to Linux

Postby CMontM » 09 Jun 2010, 08:32

Hello all,

I hope this is the right sub-forum to post this.
My name is Mike and you can call me Mikey (everyone else does). Anyway, I'm new to this board and Linux in general. I have a lot to learn about Linux and I'm very optimistic about this fast becoming popular variety of operating systems. I've actually visited these YDL pages quite a bit in the past and have finally realized and decided the time is now for me to make the move to Linux.
I have a number of older PPC Macs and one of them is hopefully going to have YDL installed on it soon, I just have to get things together, like RAM and Hard drive to make the system complete. The older PATA IDE drives these Macs use always seem to be dying. Perhaps it's because they're so old :roll: I'll get my stuff together and get back with you guys.

Anyway, I'm also building my own PC for installing flavors of Ubuntu! This is something I'm taking a lot of pride in and I've been doing a lot of browsing and shopping. So far I have a AMD CPU (550 Phenom) Ati card, Gigabyte mobo, and Rosewill case.
I got everything from newegg.com so far. I may get the RAM from a local shop as well as the optical drive and hard drive.

Has anyone else built their own PC for a distro of Linux?

Feel free to ask me any questions. :)

Mikey
CMontM
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Upgrading to Linux

Postby ppietro » 09 Jun 2010, 09:48

Hi Mikey,

Welcome to Linux. :D

As for location - sure - this is always a good place to post something. If it belongs somewhere else, one of us site admin types will politely put it where it needs to go. :D

One thing to note here. YDL is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Ubuntu is based on Debian Linux. Red Hat and Debian aren't exactly the same. Certain things - mostly pertaining to installer technology and on-line software repositories - are handled differently. (installer: rpm vs. deb. Repos: yum vs. apt-get.)

Also - Red Hat Enterprise is purposely held back about three versions from the current codebase, which we call Fedora.

See here for more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_En ... tributions

(Well - unless they delete my latest edits. Wikipedia removes that history from time to time. :D)

It will be interesting to see what you think about Ubuntu once you've learned YDL.

Personally - I use only Red Hat-based Linuxes - like YDL, Fedora or CentOS. My job requires me to have a few Debian variants around - like Ubuntu or gNewSense - but I don't like them as much.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading to Linux

Postby CMontM » 01 Oct 2010, 06:26

Paul,

It's been a while...

Since then I have built my own AMD PC and installed Ubuntu 10.04 - and I'm loving it! Can't easily argue with free software can we now?
Anyway, it's a blazing fast system with the following:
Gigabyte MOBO
Phenom II x2 CPU 550
Asus DVD drive
2x2 (4GB) RAM
Western Digital Blue Drives
Currently I'm using the on-board 4200 HD graphics - still way fast though.

I'm going to probably have to install Win7 here shortly as the rest of the family wouldn't have the patience for some of the more technical issues that could come up and using Terminal on occasion. Ubuntu is a lot of fun, but it's probably more work and study for the uninclined to be very interested in. There's issues that I can even get a little bit irritated about, but it's still a very capable operating system that I intend to use and learn more about in the foreseeable future.
I've found more help and resources for my Ubuntu needs through googling than anything else.

Cheers!
Mikey

PS If I need help with PPC Macs and YDL again I'll get in touch. However, Dual cores running @ 3.1 GHz is a giant leap into the future for me.
We still use my Macs for OS X and OS 9 quite a bit too.
CMontM
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Speaker's Corner