A Possible Replacement for the PS3

Just want to have a nice chat with your beer? Go ahead ;-)

A Possible Replacement for the PS3

Postby ppietro » 04 Apr 2011, 21:25

Hi everyone,

Check this out: http://commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

Yup - that's right. It's an Intel Atom PC inside a Commodore 64 case with a built-in C64 emulator.

Not PowerPC based - but hey - how cool is that case? I wonder how much it will cost - if it's reasonable, I'd buy one of these!

Hey - you might even be able to run YDL for CUDA on it. How about that?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A Possible Replacement for the PS3

Postby billb » 06 Apr 2011, 00:41

Heh -- nice case! Keyboard layout differs from the original C64, but that's probably desirable. :wink: I wonder if it comes with a power brick that I'd have to keep packs of frozen vegetables on to avoid overheating, too? :lol:
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 07 Apr 2011, 04:16

Ouch, the pre-order pricing: http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64Select.aspx

EDIT: ooh, check out that "Amiga Fantasy" concept image: http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_FutureModels.aspx
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aguilarojo » 30 Apr 2011, 02:02

ppietro wrote:Hi everyone,

Check this out: http://commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

Yup - that's right. It's an Intel Atom PC inside a Commodore 64 case with a built-in C64 emulator.

Not PowerPC based - but hey - how cool is that case? I wonder how much it will cost - if it's reasonable, I'd buy one of these!

Hey - you might even be able to run YDL for CUDA on it. How about that?

Cheers,
Paul

Wow! I remember helping someone understand and debug the original Commodore a client of mine bought years ago. I'm open to the explore the "next thing" beyond the PS3 especially as Sony appears to be bleeding from incompetence on all sides, but I didn't expect to move forward by moving backward? Sounds a lot like the Samurai Jack story line; yes I enjoy SJ which is why exploring the Commodore sounds strange to me. Oh well, it could be stranger we could be talking about the resurrection of the Mindset computer which was so advanced it earned a special recognition by being accepted into the Museum of Modern Art for it's design! You can read more regarding the Mindset here and here.

I remember seeing the Mindset when it was new and the Mac back then was strickly a black/grey system running I believe Finder v.2 or 3. BeOS was years into the future then and the Fat Mac was Steve Job's concession to consumers to allow a hard drive into the Macintosh. How different things are today, yes?

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby aguilarojo » 24 Jun 2011, 20:35

Looking for the next Power system beyond Apple and Sony is something I believe all the YDL community would be interested in. I found something quite amazing within an acceptable consumer grade price range (from under $2,000 to $3,000) and which is available as various laptops. That is not what is really amazing, after all laptops as they are all running Intel are nearly almost all the same in their processing capabilities, operating systems and so on, right?

Well, imagine my surprise when I discovered that there does exist one American company, V3, which produces desktop systems and laptops available in the consumer marketplace which if one runs YDL for CUDA on their system will have direct access to 300+, almost 400 - CUDA cores without blocks, filters or anything else!! V3's systems are optimized for gaming but running YDL for CUDA will allow skilled professionals and determined hobbyists to harness and direct these cores towards their own projects.

You can examine for yourself here that the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 485M is the a member of the NVIDIA Fermi class.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to Speaker's Corner