Why?

Just want to have a nice chat with your beer? Go ahead ;-)

Why?

Postby stephenkortz » 25 May 2005, 14:41

I have a question. Why is Yellow Dog so popular if it is so darn difficult to install. I have a new G5 and would really like to install yellow dog, but I am scared to death! I have read over as much of the information trying to make a decision. I presume that once you get it up and running its great, but unitl then life can be painful. Any comments?
stephenkortz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Hard???

Postby autocrosser » 26 May 2005, 05:36

Well-Lets see--You could try to install Gentoo--I've tried to about 5/6 times & could almost get it to work---kind'a. Yellowdog is easier than most--uses a GUI instead of command-line--gives logical choices from "just enough" to a full server--You just need to go forward & do it--Linux is weak on support on the newest hardware---so you need to do your homework with Yellowdog, but---I like the fact that I can do graphic design work with Gimp-Inkscape-Bluefish & several other really good programs--Plus, the fact that I don't need to pony up the money for Adobe$$ programs can't hurt--

So, it depends on what you are looking for---I wanted to get off the constant round & round of "this update is only $169"--after a while, it gets old shelling out thousands of dollars just for the 1/10 fraction of the new software you need to do your job. With Linux, I DON"T get the biggest, newest, flashiest software---but if I can compile it------WAIT for it-------I own it----period. I think freedom of thought & my computer's silicon brain cells is worth some sweat on my part---

OK--I'm off my soapbox

Cheers!!
Dean
autocrosser
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby StarKnight83 » 26 May 2005, 14:15

Ive run quite a few diff. distros of linux and bsd. My desktop runs gentoo, mandrake and XP. my old laptop (ibook se) runs gentoo and its partner (another se) runs ydl 3.0 and my ibook g4 runs OSX.4 and ydl 4.x on both internal and fw and my server runs freebsd. The XP platform is only good for games (another story) but i spend a lot of time fighting w/ various items on the other systems and while i do the same for my YDL platforms i seem to spend a lot less time doing so. the 2 distros I open support and give money to are mandrake and YDL So while any distro will have its problems i find that TSS does a very good job at supporting various hw and do thier best to keep up though they need to sometimes wait for the kernel team to make certain changes (patches are complex and can cause addition problems which is why TSS tries to avoid them)

Also this is a little off-topic IMO feels best in speaker's corner
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Return to Speaker's Corner