Please allow us to choose a style/theme

Any ideas to make to board even better? Tell me!

Please allow us to choose a style/theme

Postby pablo » 22 Oct 2008, 03:12

Hello billb,
Great to see forums improving. I haven't been around for a while, now that I got my PS3 back and just bought a new TV we can get back to business.
I can never get used to the new phpbb theme, it makes my hurt and also right side avatar/info, plus very little color difference between posts, and no thick visible lines between posts all add up.

Please add old phpBB default theme as an option so us old timers or old fashioned users can enjoy the forum the way we used to. I hope it is not too much to ask.
Thank You
Running YDL 6.1 on Image 80GB PS3 Model: CECHE01 *Add your Model # / [GNOME] / Game OS 2.60
List of my Sony Stuff, Still not a fanboy.
pablo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Re: Please allow us to choose a style/theme

Postby ppietro » 22 Oct 2008, 08:07

pablo wrote:Hello billb,
Great to see forums improving. I haven't been around for a while, now that I got my PS3 back and just bought a new TV we can get back to business.
I can never get used to the new phpbb theme, it makes my hurt and also right side avatar/info, plus very little color difference between posts, and no thick visible lines between posts all add up.

Please add old phpBB default theme as an option so us old timers or old fashioned users can enjoy the forum the way we used to. I hope it is not too much to ask.
Thank You

Pardon me for jumping in here, but from what I understand, the old theme was lost during the transition to the new site. The site actually changed owners - from an individual hosting the board to TerraSoft. The forum post data was migrated, but everything else was re-written from scratch, so to speak.

That's my understanding anyway. I'm sure I'll be corrected. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pablo » 22 Oct 2008, 17:33

Paul, I am not asking to bring the old forum back. I am sure phpBB offers themes/styles and they should have a style that is cleaner and probably easier on the eyes. They can go with anything else that is cleaner and resembles the old theme. That will be good enough for me.
Running YDL 6.1 on Image 80GB PS3 Model: CECHE01 *Add your Model # / [GNOME] / Game OS 2.60
pablo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby billb » 22 Oct 2008, 19:47

ppietro wrote:Pardon me for jumping in here, but from what I understand, the old theme was lost during the transition to the new site. The site actually changed owners - from an individual hosting the board to TerraSoft. The forum post data was migrated, but everything else was re-written from scratch, so to speak.

I'm not even sure -- if they still have the old theme -- that it's compatible with the newer version of phpBB we're using here now. But there's nothing to prevent us from using a new phpBB theme or creating one. We'd just have to get Terrasoft to upload it to the server so it would be available.

I'm using a different one for forums.ps3bodega.com, but this one should use a "Terrasoft YDL" theme. I'm not familiar with creating themes for phpBB, but perhaps if one of the users here creates one they would consider using it. I'll ask about it.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pablo » 22 Oct 2008, 23:33

Bill, even what you are using there is similar to this one, probably just different colors, it is not a different theme, maybe CSS is modified.
There are bunch of cool themes, (Although I am getting used to this one) for example this one: http://www.phpbb3styles.net/db/style/AeroBlue
I am not suggesting any one of the above, but any one can be taken and modified as long as it is allowed by the author.

http://www.phpbb3styles.net/

If it is too much trouble, we will just try to get used to this one, but it would be cool to have a theme that resembles old one. Or at least something that is easier to read, since some of yours and others' posts include bunch of instructions and the font size/type doesn't really help.
pablo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby billb » 23 Oct 2008, 13:48

Holding off on this for now -- apparently TSS has a graphics person (I'm assuming that's who does the nice graphics for their website) who has been assigned the task of creating a new style/theme for this board.

But feel free to offer suggestions for what you'd like to see in this topic. :)
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pablo » 23 Oct 2008, 15:00

No problem. In the meantime I am getting used to this one, but a custom, cleaner theme would also be pretty cool. Thanks. :)
pablo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to Board improvement