New Catagory Addition

Any ideas to make to board even better? Tell me!

New Catagory Addition

Postby Taellik » 30 Dec 2008, 13:06

Just a couple :

1) Can a new category for software developer's be created in the Discussion segment of the board for messages related to doing development? A topic heading like Programming, Software Development, whatever could be used for that specific discipline of messages related to programming in Java, C/C++, Python, etc. using YDL on PS3. I recently posted an Eclipse IDE / Java help message in the "General" section and it seemed more appropriate to be placed in a category more suited to the message content.

2) Can the board msgs be "cleaned up"? There is a ton of wireless problems messages scattered all over the different message categories some referring back to YDL 5.x Maybe they can be organized by YDL release to not confuse newer board users ( like me ! ) for finding solutions to problems. ( It's a pain to read about a problem and find out the solution only applies for some older version of YDL ! )

3) Board needs dedicated categories for the most common / frequently posted problems and or fixes for specific YDL release i.e.wireless connection, You Tube video, Firefox Flash, DVD playback, etc. the current categories "beginner" , "general", etc. just doesn't zero-in of the specific common problem being researched to save time finding solutions. The message search box is good, but it finds outdated information for previous releases of YDL that are no longer appropriate fix solutions.

4) This kinda piggybacks on #2 - clean up. Any way to have messages be relevant to specific YDL releases ? For example, any YDL 5.x message gets bundled away to a YDL 5.x category as each release becomes obsolete ? Would make the board be more up-to-date with releases for problem solving.

5) This suggestion dovetails with #4 - having a rule for message posting requiring the version of YDL the message refers to i.e. YDL 6.1 wireless, YDL 6.0 You Tube compatibility, YDL 6.1 web cam, etc.

Just a couple ideas to make the board better tool to use to get help from . . . . :D

Taellik
PS3 80GB, FW 3.21
EyeToy II
NO YDL 6.2 due to 3.21 firmware upgrade
PSP
PSP Go! Cam
Taellik
ydl addict
ydl addict

Location: Raleigh NC and God's Favorite Nation --> THE United States of America

Re: New Catagory Addition

Postby billb » 30 Dec 2008, 15:41

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into adding a Software Development sub forum. I've been getting into Python programming off and on when I have time and I'm "in the mood" for it.

Also there are a number of forums which have never had any posts that could be "archived" but are there ... like the Powerstation forum, or other architecture specific forums ... I suppose those users prefer not to post on forums and use mailing lists intead.

Attempting to enforce a "rule" so that users would have to indicate which version of YDL and system they're using (like [YDL 6.1 PS3]) would be difficult, I think. So far I've just tried to make things easier to find in "sticky" posts like the README in the PS3 sub forum, but even that could use more frequent updating and better organization.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Taellik » 30 Dec 2008, 15:51

Thanks for taking time to read my message.

I understand maintaining board content can be a chore.

Taellik
PS3 80GB, FW 3.21
EyeToy II
NO YDL 6.2 due to 3.21 firmware upgrade
PSP
PSP Go! Cam
Taellik
ydl addict
ydl addict

Location: Raleigh NC and God's Favorite Nation --> THE United States of America

Postby billb » 10 Feb 2009, 15:48

OK ... I've added a "Software Development" forum in the Discussion section. I've moved a few recent topics into that forum (leaving shadow topics in place in the original location).
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Board improvement