Alcatel speedtouch usb modem install help

system irrelevant topics

Alcatel speedtouch usb modem install help

Postby thierryvr » 21 Nov 2004, 18:18

Hi,
I am new to the linux world and can't wait to try it out. But I have one major problem wich is getting myself connected to the web. I have an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem (wanadoo) and I have no clue as to how to get YDL to see it. It's becoming a pain to have to reboot under Mac OSX each time to surf on the web.

Many thanks in advance for any advice/help.
Thierry.

Sys config: iMac Flat pannel 17" 800Mhz G4, YDL 3.0.1 freshly installed with all packages checked during installation. USB SpeedTouch Alcatel modem (the one that looks like a Manta ray)

ps sorry for the spelling but I'm French
thierryvr
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Mase » 04 Dec 2004, 19:52

Hi,
i'm having the same problem. I got the speedtouch firmware and put it into /etc/speedtouch. Compiled and installed the speedtouch tools, messed with the scripts in order to get them to look for ydl instead of fedora but i still get the following errors

Failed to set PPP kernel option flags: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/4
Script "/usr/local/sbin/pppoa3" -vpi 0 -vci 38 finished (pid 3752), status = 0xff
Modem hangup
Connection terminated.
using channel 32
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/4
Script "/usr/local/sbin/pppoa3" -vpi 0 -vci 38 finished (pid 3772), status = 0xff
Modem hangup

Ubuntu packages for speedtouch warty worked with my rev 4 modem if it helps.
I'd prefer to continue using ydl if possible. Am just trying it out atm, but if i this is covered in installation support let me know and i'll buy it. I love it, aside from the modem probs.
Mase
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 05 Dec 2004, 13:08

If you messed w/ the scripts id make sure that it points to the right usb port "/dev/USBx"
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby Guest » 06 Dec 2004, 08:44

Nah i haven't messed with them that much. There was just some code in there to identify if it was a fedora core 2 machine or debian etc...i just changed the fc2 code to look for ydl orion instead. Is there not a pre-made package for this like with debian/ ubunut?

Return to Off Topic