HOWTO push GNU/Linux to the limit.

system irrelevant topics

HOWTO push GNU/Linux to the limit.

Postby virgule » 12 Dec 2004, 22:58

Its not really a HOWTO, sorry 'bout that... :oops:
I was bored so I attempted to push this old computer running a so-called alternative OS to its limit. This is nothing like a professional benchmark but I can't seam to overload such a system. Maybe I 'suck' with computers but...read on:

System Info - Running YellowDog Linux 4.0 (kernel 2.6.8-1.ydl.7)
OldWorld G3/300Mhz minitower.
1024k L2 backside cache (diseabled as of now)
320MB RAM
40Gig ATA
..and some other peripherals useless to this test purpose.

So here I go, Bored as usual...8) I noticed KDE 3.3.2 is the latest 'stable' version but YDL4 ships with 3.3.0 . I going to upgrade KDE through 'konstruct' utility. Thats one clever program! I switch to XFce4 environment, perform <yum erase kde*>, download the tarball, untar it and start the upgrade: <cd ~/konstruct/meta/everything/make [ENTER]> Its running for 3days, 48mins and 59 seconds and its going on and on... Even as 'gkrellm' CPU show 99% usage since the last 3 days, that I have many 'xterm' occurences (one is <tail -f /var/log/messages>, one is building KDE-3.3.2, one is compiling 'OpenBox', one is running <top -d0.1> and couple others I use as 'launchers'. (One is root, another is on a user account), XMMS is playing a stream from shoutcast.com with 'BlurScope' visual plugin ON and sound is perfect, no cut at all, Evolution is running and check for mail every minutes, Opera-7.54 is open with 4 'tabs' and is downloading FC3 ISOs for a friend @250kbs, mozilla 1.7 is loaded..Things are just a *little bit* sluggish. I can't even talk about a slowdown here! WOW. There is no hope for such abuse under MacOS9! Talking about CrapOS9, I might very well boot it via MOL in a tty but It need a 'boot ROM' or something I dont have and I dont even care LOL!

Long life to GNU/Linux!!
'nuff said!

Thanks to read mel!
To Be or Not To Be?? --This is NOT even a question...
virgule
ydl addict
ydl addict

Re: HOWTO push GNU/Linux to the limit.

Postby Guest » 13 Dec 2004, 03:56

virgule wrote:Its not really a HOWTO, sorry 'bout that... :oops:
I was bored so I attempted to push this old computer running a so-called alternative OS to its limit. This is nothing like a professional benchmark but I can't seam to overload such a system. Maybe I 'suck' with computers but...read on:

System Info - Running YellowDog Linux 4.0 (kernel 2.6.8-1.ydl.7)
OldWorld G3/300Mhz minitower.
1024k L2 backside cache (diseabled as of now)
320MB RAM
40Gig ATA
..and some other peripherals useless to this test purpose.

So here I go, Bored as usual...8) I noticed KDE 3.3.2 is the latest 'stable' version but YDL4 ships with 3.3.0 . I going to upgrade KDE through 'konstruct' utility. Thats one clever program! I switch to XFce4 environment, perform <yum erase kde*>, download the tarball, untar it and start the upgrade: <cd ~/konstruct/meta/everything/make [ENTER]> Its running for 3days, 48mins and 59 seconds and its going on and on... Even as 'gkrellm' CPU show 99% usage since the last 3 days, that I have many 'xterm' occurences (one is <tail -f /var/log/messages>, one is building KDE-3.3.2, one is compiling 'OpenBox', one is running <top -d0.1> and couple others I use as 'launchers'. (One is root, another is on a user account), XMMS is playing a stream from shoutcast.com with 'BlurScope' visual plugin ON and sound is perfect, no cut at all, Evolution is running and check for mail every minutes, Opera-7.54 is open with 4 'tabs' and is downloading FC3 ISOs for a friend @250kbs, mozilla 1.7 is loaded..Things are just a *little bit* sluggish. I can't even talk about a slowdown here! WOW. There is no hope for such abuse under MacOS9! Talking about CrapOS9, I might very well boot it via MOL in a tty but It need a 'boot ROM' or something I dont have and I dont even care LOL!

Long life to GNU/Linux!!
'nuff said!

Thanks to read mel!

Try that on a 2.4.x system and watch it colapse completely :-)

Linux desktop stability has always been somewhat less than claimed - sure it'll hold up under downloads and compiling, but a lot of the large desktop apps - Evolution, OO.o, etc are not the stabelest. My (i386) Desktop used to fall down when I tried to play two video streams - XFree86 didn't like two attempts to use the overlay bitmap

Linux on PPC is usually a bit more stable when it comes to stuff that uses the hardware - like video overlay - because theres far, far fewer hardware variables to take into account - theres probably what, 100 configurations max that YDL4 officially supports - and thats ALL variants of all NewWorld machines.

Return to Off Topic