anti spam and would this work?

system irrelevant topics

anti spam and would this work?

Postby trash » 12 Aug 2004, 19:57

I was just wondering if it is possible to deal with spam this way and if so can anybody tell me the best set-up. I did speak with my ISP about it but all they wanted to do was sell me an anti spam package which isn't an option for me right now. So here's what I am thinking...

Creating a postmaster@mydomain that is outgoing only or just deletes any incoming.... and then using this email to reply to spam saying that the good email is in fact not a good email addy.
Would making the postmaster reply email need to look exactly as a real one in order to work?

or am I way off base with this?

thanks.
6100,g3,g4
trash
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby kamika » 12 Aug 2004, 20:43

why reply at all?
kamika
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby trash » 12 Aug 2004, 21:04

Yes that is the approach I have taken so far, but I don't think it gets my email removed from any list because it would always appear as a good email, so no doubt as a good email it would be added/sold to more and more lists for spamming. No?

I was kind of thinking that doing this may just keep my good email addy's from being added to more and more other lists.

I have also have had emails used to spread viruses, so I am just looking for solutions to limiting the numbers of lists that my email is on, thats all. Not sure if there is a conection but i'm sure limiting the numbers of list i'm on is a good thing... like i said though, am I way off base with this? maybe it is pointless?
6100,g3,g4
trash
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

evil lists

Postby Z3K3 » 12 Aug 2004, 22:34

Actually it really doesnt matter if your postmaster was to reply "user not here" to the spam lists.... I had a domain that was not used for 2 years, I turned it back on last month, and right away, I got spam....

Its doubtful that your email address would be removed, even though your account may be deleted.. most spammers could care less, they just keep shooting off the emails.... bastards. :)

If you want to get (somewhat) good spam pertection you could use something like spamassassin and mailscanner (about 80-90% effective)... or use an outsourced virus scanner such as frontbridge.com (85-95% effective)

Cheers,

-- Chris
------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerBook G4 (667Mhz)
YDL 3.0.1
KERNEL 2.4.22-2g
Z3K3
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby kamika » 12 Aug 2004, 22:38

i used sylpheed-claws with spamassasin plugin.

but switched to thunderbird.

filter was trained really quick and is now filtering more than 95%

really works well.

kamika
kamika
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby trash » 12 Aug 2004, 22:45

Ah got it. Under the circumstances that bad emails don't get deleted from lists it is just as easy to delete them as they arrive.

I kind of assumed it would be the same as with telemarketers where if X amount of times is a hang-up the number gets deleted and never used again.

Thanks.
6100,g3,g4
trash
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 27 May 2008, 18:49

thomasz wrote:So do i have a automated deleting program on the email to delete all spams which i received?

Well - from what I can tell, this discussion took place about 4 years ago, so I wouldn't expect many replies. :)

BTW - If you're using Thunderbird for e-mail, it has a built-in Bayesian filter for identifying and deleting SPAM mail. That should help a little. :)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: anti spam and would this work?

Postby bonedome » 09 Dec 2008, 15:55

I use 2 seperate gmail accounts, one for selected people only and the other for everything else, gmail does a pretty good job of spam filtering as is (2997 in spam file) and has some good features like white and black lists/words, spam has started to creep through lately though :x so might open a new account
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to Off Topic